Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DataVitalizer
Super User
Super User

How to keep published reports updated

Hi Community,

I have an on-premise sql server with couple databases which are consumed by many users throught different reports.

Now I am supposed to configure a gateway to allow those users configuring an auto refresh but I aw struggling with installing the gateway 😫:

1- Would I need a personal, standard ou entreprise?

2- Would an Entreprise Gateway asnwer this need? If so does it require an admin account?

2- Is there anything I am missing here?

If you read this message, any suggestion from you would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DataVitalizer 

In this scenario, please check the service log for Enterprise Gateway under:

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log

Also check the the On-premises data gateway service  event log under Application and Services Logs in Event Viewer.

If there's still no usefull message in log, please uninstall gateway and install the latest version of Enterprise Gateway. Please see: Troubleshooting the On-Premises Data Gateway

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @DataVitalizer ,

to clarify a little bit. There is one setup.exe that contains both, the personal and the enterprise gateway.

The personal gateway is only for you, so don't use that when you want to provide the gateway to your colleagues.

For that reason the Enterprise gateway should be your choice. Be aware that when the gateway is offline, the reports cannot refresh. So don't install it on your notebook, otherwise the trouble starts when you're on holiday etc. Get a server internally or a notebook that is running 24/7 and install it there.

For the gateway you don't need an admin account, only your account to connect with the Power BI Services.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd 

Thank you for the reply.

Using entreprise gateway how could I simulate the case of installing a personal gateway per user, in other words would I be able to connect/register users to a specific database using their emails addresses so they can get the auto-refresh option in their power bi service ?

Does it require a premium license ?

Thank you in advance

Hey @DataVitalizer ,

the gateways don't require any license.

Don't install a personal gateway for every user. For every dataset one person is responsible. With the personal gateway if this person is on holiday, leaving, finished word or is sick, the data set will not be updated. This will be a nightmare as no user will know which datasets are up to date and which are not. People will lose trust in Power BI.

Install an enterprise gateway on a server and then add responsible users to the data sources. Then every person can use the same gateway. When they go on holiday, finish work or leave the company, the data will still refresh.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd 

I tried to install the entreprise gateway, when I try connecting I get this error message

One or more errors occurred
System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<GetClusterUri>d__0.MoveNext()

I used an account with pro license, and the installation was on win10

Thank you in advance.

Hi @DataVitalizer 

Difference between standard mode and personal mode:

For reference: On-premises data gateway vs. on-premises data gateway (personal mode)

1.png

Please refer to requirements from this blog before you download gateway.

Please download the latest standard mode gateway by this link: Power BI gateway

For more details about how to download standard mode gateway, you may refer to this blog:

Download and install a standard gateway

For reference about how to manage your data source-SQL.

Once you configure your data source correctly in Service, you can set schedule refresh for your report. Then your report can be auto refreshed. Note: You need to keep the PC which has data source-SQL and installed gateway online, or refresh will fail.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @selimovd , @v-rzhou-msft 

I installed this time the Enterprise Gateway on WS2016 with SSD and .Net Framework 4.8, even though, I am getting this error messages when I try to login

othy_bi_0-1627473157188.png

Thank you in advance.

Hi @DataVitalizer 

In this scenario, please check the service log for Enterprise Gateway under:

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log

Also check the the On-premises data gateway service  event log under Application and Services Logs in Event Viewer.

If there's still no usefull message in log, please uninstall gateway and install the latest version of Enterprise Gateway. Please see: Troubleshooting the On-Premises Data Gateway

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.