Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LFM
Helper I
Helper I

How to insert template pbix file into another datafile?

Hello. I have a template in a pbix file, and I want to copy it to another pbix file where I have my data and measures. The problem is that the template file contains some canvas background and stuff, and I cant just use Ctrl + C to copy it. Is another way to copy it into my datafile? Another solution would be to get the data again and make new calculations in the template file, but that would be a time consuming and doing all over again. I hope there is some good solutions to this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hackcrr
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, @LFM 

To copy Power BI report pages (including all visuals and formatting) from one PBIX file to another, there are five methods:
1. Use Save As and change the data source. 2:
Open Template File: Open the PBIX file containing the template to be copied. Use File>Save As to save a new copy of the template file. Go to Transform Data> Data Source Settings. change the data source settings to point to the new data source used in the data PBIX file.
If necessary, modify the query in it to match the data structure in the Power Query Editor. If the metric names and table names match, the visuals should adapt to the new data source. Otherwise, you may need to recreate some calculations.
2. Use Power BI Desktop's built-in export/import functionality.
In the template PBIX file, go to File>> Export. power BI Template. save the PBIT file (template file).
3. copy the visuals and pages. Open the template PBIX file and the target PBIX file in Power BI Desktop.
In the template file, go to the report page you want to copy. Select all the visuals on the page (Ctrl + A) and copy them (Ctrl + C).
4. Using the Table Editor (for advanced users)
Download and open the Table Editor, a third-party tool for editing Power BI models.
In the Table Editor, open the PBIX file containing the template. Copy the report definitions, metrics, and visuals you need. In the Table Editor, opens the PBIX file containing the data. Paste the copied definitions into a new file.
5. To reuse a template with parameters
In the template PBIX file, save it as a Power BI template file (.pbit). Open the .pbit file and provide the new data source parameters when prompted. This method allows you to reuse the template structure with a different data source.

While there is no direct way to replicate a full report page with all formatting and background settings, the above methods provide efficient ways to replicate templates in a new PBIX file using existing data and metrics. The first method is usually the most straightforward, while the third method provides a practical solution that does not require changes to the data source. For advanced users, the Table Editor provides powerful functionality, but requires a good understanding of Power BI's data model.

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hackcrr
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, @LFM 

To copy Power BI report pages (including all visuals and formatting) from one PBIX file to another, there are five methods:
1. Use Save As and change the data source. 2:
Open Template File: Open the PBIX file containing the template to be copied. Use File>Save As to save a new copy of the template file. Go to Transform Data> Data Source Settings. change the data source settings to point to the new data source used in the data PBIX file.
If necessary, modify the query in it to match the data structure in the Power Query Editor. If the metric names and table names match, the visuals should adapt to the new data source. Otherwise, you may need to recreate some calculations.
2. Use Power BI Desktop's built-in export/import functionality.
In the template PBIX file, go to File>> Export. power BI Template. save the PBIT file (template file).
3. copy the visuals and pages. Open the template PBIX file and the target PBIX file in Power BI Desktop.
In the template file, go to the report page you want to copy. Select all the visuals on the page (Ctrl + A) and copy them (Ctrl + C).
4. Using the Table Editor (for advanced users)
Download and open the Table Editor, a third-party tool for editing Power BI models.
In the Table Editor, open the PBIX file containing the template. Copy the report definitions, metrics, and visuals you need. In the Table Editor, opens the PBIX file containing the data. Paste the copied definitions into a new file.
5. To reuse a template with parameters
In the template PBIX file, save it as a Power BI template file (.pbit). Open the .pbit file and provide the new data source parameters when prompted. This method allows you to reuse the template structure with a different data source.

While there is no direct way to replicate a full report page with all formatting and background settings, the above methods provide efficient ways to replicate templates in a new PBIX file using existing data and metrics. The first method is usually the most straightforward, while the third method provides a practical solution that does not require changes to the data source. For advanced users, the Table Editor provides powerful functionality, but requires a good understanding of Power BI's data model.

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

If there are files that setup the background, you need those files. Just copy the file to a new name and copy and paste into it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.