Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Alchemista
Frequent Visitor

How to import Excel data keeping the same column formatting? (%, $ and Unit Values showing properly)

Hello,

New to Power BI, I have a question regarding how to successfully import data into Power BI with the same formatting as I see on Excel.

In my data pull I have several facts like region, store banner, unit sales and growth percentages. However although i changed column formats to proper number and percentage on excel before i bring it to power bi, when i import to query, the data loses all formatting and looks very messy with no commas, no percentages and many decimals. Probably related to formatting issues in Power BI, my unit values show “count of” not even real values. The modeling tab is greyed out so i couldnt add commas for formatting after saving the query. You can see pics below for reference.

How can I import and manipulate typical sales units and sales growth type of data properly? How to remove decimals for both $, units and %? Is there an example/guide video you can share?

Thanks in advance.

EXCEL FORMAT

Excel data format.png

My dollar value is captured as "count of"

Power BI Data is captured as Count of.png

The Way Power BI gets it

Power BI Format.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Alchemista your modelling tab will be disabled if data type in power query is text or any (abc/123). as soon as you changed the data type to number/whole number , you have format options.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.