Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jacobian8
Regular Visitor

How to format and add units to tachometer?

Hi, 

I am trying to add units to a tachometer, specifically $/h (Dollars per hour). 

I am able to add just a single $ sign by going into modeling and then format but i need to add the "/h". 

I then tried doing :

FORMAT ([MEASURE], "### $/h")

but that converted it to a string I guess and didnt show any value. All it showed was " (BLANK) ". It did however showed when I chose Card for example. 

So I am wondering if it is possible to add $/h unit to my value in the tachometer visualization. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @jacobian8,

The formats available in Power BI work in different ways on the the several visualizations as you may be aware, when you are using the FORMAT function the and add text to your numbers your data type is setupas text and not as number that is why when you place it on a card it shows values and on the tachometer it shows blanks.

Tachometers can only have number type so when adding text it return blanks. 

One way to overcome this would be to add your measure to the tachometer and then turn off the callout value and add a card on the bottom of the tachometer with the formated measure.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @jacobian8,

The formats available in Power BI work in different ways on the the several visualizations as you may be aware, when you are using the FORMAT function the and add text to your numbers your data type is setupas text and not as number that is why when you place it on a card it shows values and on the tachometer it shows blanks.

Tachometers can only have number type so when adding text it return blanks. 

One way to overcome this would be to add your measure to the tachometer and then turn off the callout value and add a card on the bottom of the tachometer with the formated measure.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix

That's exaclty what I figured.

I guess then yes I'll have to use a workaround. 

Thank you!

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Why not set up your measure as just a number then go

DisplayMeasure = concatenate([Measure],"$/h")

I tried. 

It still displays (Blank)

Once I do format or concatenate, it turns it into a text. It gets displayed on other visualizations but not tachometer. 

Thanks though

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.