Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SriGaG1
Helper II
Helper II

How to create a dynamic table/Column based on a ranking?

Hello Folks,

I am trying to create a separate table based on ranking. As an example, when I select top 15 manufcturers from the provided slicers, , the table need to update top 15 manufacurers.  If I select All, the same will be applied and the table need to update all manufacturers. What I need is, from that table, it is required to pass relationships to other fact tables. 

Or If you can help me to create a separate calculated column based on the above requrement is okay for me. What business need is when the top N manufacturers selected from slicers, the same top N manufacturers need to show in the other pages. like 2019,2020 and 2021. 

You can download the pbix file from this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mbM68onjax2qxF0khwQfe11OnplO6YW/view?usp=share_link

SriGaG1_0-1668847292296.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try the following:

Output Required =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( fTable[Sort Slicer Value] ),
    FILTER ( fTable, fTable[Product Code] = EARLIER ( fTable[Product Code] ) )
)

earlier.jpgEven though the you have to keep the yearly tables separate in the model, are you allowed to create a new table in the model? You could create a new table with only the summary values for all the years

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ok, I've checked out the file.

The first question is: do you need the table for each year as a seperate table for any particular reason?

If the tables have the same structure, I would model the data differently by creating a single table containing all the years. This would solve the problem you are facing very easily.

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown thank you for the reply. Actually no. I have presented you something similer to my business requrement. So we cannot change the data model eventhe tables. these are really large tables actually. and thats y

In that case you are going to have to replicate all the measures for each of the years. You cannot create dynamic calculated tables or columns: these are calculated when the model is loaded, so they are impervious to filters and slicers. Anything dynamic has to be done with measures.

As regards the model, having a single fact table in your example is considered a best practice. It is not unusual to have fact tables with millions of rows.

res.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown  thank you very much for the effort. Feel like you have re created the data model. But in the customer's requirement, e cannot do any of the single change to thedata model and it is really complex. They need to be in separate sheets. 

Sure, that's fine. 
Just replicate the measures for each year. If you add the slicers to each page, you can synch them (and then even hide the remaing ones if you so wish)

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown  Thank you. I did it. But the issue is, the table in my original document has more than 50 columns . and sometimes the sorting dimension columns are getting duplicated. so when I apply the ranking column there, it is loading all the day and in the end, everything will be collapsed. I feel the column count is too much.  Can we do something like this?

SriGaG1_0-1668880439763.png

Refer the final column, and based on that we do a ranking and we can apply it for the above. 

I have tried that one too. But allexcept function is not getting the exact value we need. 

In tableau, we do use, {FIXED [PRODUCTCODE]: [SORT_SLICER_VALUE]}. But in power BI, I have wrote the same like below

output = CALCULATE([SORT_SLICER_VALUE],ALLEXCEPT('ProductMaster',' ProductMaster'[PRODUCTCODE]))

SORT_SLICER_VALUE = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Slicers Des'[Slicer Des]),
"Price variance/ kg Original - Actual", [Price variance/kg Original - Actual],
"Price variance/ ctn Original - Actual", [Price variance/ctn Original - Actual])

But this calculation returns the same disaggregated value in the [SORT_SLICER_VALUE] measure.

how can we do that thing? you have any idea? i ran out of options.. 

Try the following:

Output Required =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( fTable[Sort Slicer Value] ),
    FILTER ( fTable, fTable[Product Code] = EARLIER ( fTable[Product Code] ) )
)

earlier.jpgEven though the you have to keep the yearly tables separate in the model, are you allowed to create a new table in the model? You could create a new table with only the summary values for all the years

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.