Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to avoid Personal Gateaway for excel files?

Hi everyone,

is there any way how to refresh a report while using an excel file. It just seems like there is a need for a Personal Gateaway all the time. I can't really figure out how to 'tell' Power BI that it's a static file. 

Optionally, if there is none, what is the easiest way to upload it to the web and use a web source instead? I would appreciate a step-by-step guide. 

Lookign forward to your suggestions. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I think your question might be about Power BI service.

If you want to refresh your dataset which your data source is excel files in Power BI service, you need to refresh through the gateway.

In addition to personal gateways, there are standard gateways for you to choose. Please kindly refer to: Download and install a standard gateway.

If you want to  upload it to the web and use a web source instead, you can try to connect to SharePoint or OneDrive. Please kindly refer to: Connect to files stored in OneDrive for your Power BI workspace.

If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.