Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rajendraongole1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to Hide Last 4 Quarters data in X axis Dynamically

Hi

I have an X axis with continous quarterly data from 2017 till data. i want to hide last 4 quarters and show upto 2018-Q4.

if next april comes i.e 2020 -Q1 , i have to get 2019-Q1 automatically.

Eg: Xaxis :

2017-Q1,2017-Q2,2017-Q3,2017-Q4, 2018-Q1,2018-Q2,2018-Q3,2018-Q4, 2020-Q1 ( Here 2019 quarter data is on hide) now.

like wise  in april 2020 -Q1 comes automatically i have to show 2019-Q1 data

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @rajendraongole1 ,

You can try to use the following measure to check current category and return tag, then you can use it on the line chart visual level filter to only display 'Y' tag records:

Measure = 
VAR _last =
    MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( Test[YearQuarter] ), [YearQuarter] )
VAR _curr =
    LEFT ( MAX ( Test[YearQuarter] ), 4 ) & RIGHT ( MAX ( Test[YearQuarter] ), 1 )
VAR prev =
    LEFT ( _last, 4 ) - 1
        & RIGHT ( _last, 1 )
RETURN
    IF ( _curr < prev, "Y", "N" )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rajendraongole1,

Maybe you can add a measure to extract and compare current date and return tag, then use it as a filter on visual level to filter the last 4 quarters.

Applying a measure filter in Power BI 

If you are confused coding formula,  please share some dummy data to test.
Regards, 

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft Xiaoxin Sheng,

YearQuarterValue
2015-13384
2015-23334
2015-32000
2015-43218
2016-13392
2016-24327
2016-34141
2016-42611
2017-12530
2017-26835
2017-35888
2017-42351
2018-13567
2018-24499
2018-33742
2018-42253
2019-11232
2019-28654
2019-33455
2019-42233

Thanks for the reply, I have shared the attached Excel. with current Output & Expecting output.

I have data available for last year Quarter data, but i ha ve to hide last complete year data and have to show upto before completed Quarter information. once this current Quarter next month data comes  then only i have show 2019-Q1 .

I hope this information is helpful to understand.

Thanks 

current.png

Expected:

expected.png

Next Quarter i.e., 2020-01 comes then only i have to report 2019-1 Quarter data (values should reflect automatically).

Thank you.

HI @rajendraongole1 ,

You can try to use the following measure to check current category and return tag, then you can use it on the line chart visual level filter to only display 'Y' tag records:

Measure = 
VAR _last =
    MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( Test[YearQuarter] ), [YearQuarter] )
VAR _curr =
    LEFT ( MAX ( Test[YearQuarter] ), 4 ) & RIGHT ( MAX ( Test[YearQuarter] ), 1 )
VAR prev =
    LEFT ( _last, 4 ) - 1
        & RIGHT ( _last, 1 )
RETURN
    IF ( _curr < prev, "Y", "N" )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@ Team- Thank you for time and support

Hi @rajendraongole1 ,

I loaded your data and tried to simulate the expected output.  

The solution assumes that you will be showing all the previous quarter compared with the max value of the quater year in the data. 

So this will not work based on any filter on date, if you have.

Paste the code in the powerquery

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\PowerBICommunity\QuarterData.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Year Quarter", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Year Quarter", "Year Quarter - Copy"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "Year Quarter - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Year Quarter - Copy.1", "Year Quarter - Copy.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Year Quarter - Copy.1", Int64.Type}, {"Year Quarter - Copy.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Year Quarter - Copy.1", "Base Year"}}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Year Quarter - Copy.2",  Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type2",{{"Year Quarter - Copy.2", "Base QUarter"}}),
    GetMax = List.Max(#"Renamed Columns1"[Year Quarter]),
    LoadMax = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns1","max",each GetMax),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(LoadMax, "max", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"max.1", "max.2"}),
    #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"max.1", Int64.Type}, {"max.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type3",{{"max.1", "MaxYear"}, {"max.2", "Max Quarter"}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns2", "Custom", each if [Base Year] >= [MaxYear] then 0 else if [Base QUarter] <= [Max Quarter] then 1 else 0)
in
    #"Added Conditional Column"

Change the Souce line pointing to your data source and file name. 

What this does is, after loading the base data it finds the maximum year quarter combination and populates the same in a new column.

The original YearQuarter and the new column Max YearQuarter are split into year and quarter.

Then add a column comparing the OriginalYear with MaxYear and OriginalQuarter with MaxQuarter and set as 1 or 0.

The logic applied is if the OriginalYear is Equal to the MaxYear then set it as 0.- - to indicate not to show.

If the OriginalYear is less than the MaxYear then if the OrginalQaurter is less than equal to the MaxQuarter set as 1 -  to show.

Otherwise 0 - not to show.

The visual as per orginal data which has 2019-4 as the last YearQuarter

With base data upto 2019-4With base data upto 2019-4After adding 2020-1 to dataAfter adding 2020-1 to data

The chart 1 is with the data provided by show and does not show 2019 quaerters

The chart2 is with adding 2020-1 data.  Shows only quarter-1 data for all previous years.

Is this the expectation.

Try it out and let me know.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rajendraongole1 ,

Can you share the pbix / data on Google /  One Drive and paste the linke here. Please also share what is the solution you expect.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for your reply.

I will two visuals :

Visual-1, as of now i have all Quarters data information till date.

Requirement is in Visual-2

though i have 2019 all Quarter data, I want to showcase data upto 2018-4 Quarter only untill 2020-01 the data of 2019.01 should comes automatically without using manual filter condition.

visual-1.pngvisual-2.png

@CheenuSing  & @amitchandak  & @Greg_Deckler 

Any suggestions?

This dynamically identifies the 4 most recent quarters, including the current one:

Check = 
VAR CurrentQ = QUARTER(today())
VAR CurrentY = YEAR(Today())
Return
IF( YEAR('Table (2)'[Date]) = CurrentY ; 1 ;
IF( YEAR('Table (2)'[Date]) = CurrentY -1 && QUARTER('Table (2)'[Date]) >= 1+CurrentQ ; 1 ; BLANK()))

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Sample data would help.Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That said, do you have anything else than your Year Quarter to do date calculations on? If not, I would suggest creating a table via Enter Data that lists your year quarters. In the second column enter the last quarter that you actually want. Then in your measure, you can use LOOKUPVALUE to lookup the correct year quarter maximum to display and use that as a filter in your measure to return blank if you are beyond that year quarter.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.