Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Connect Power BI to Heroku PostgresSQL?

Hi, 

I am struggling to follow the instructions here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60102636/power-bi-postgresql-data-import-error-the-remote-certif... 

What I am doing:

First here are my credentials

Host: ec2x
Database: d4x
User: box
Port: 5432
Password: 08x
Heroku username: user
Heroku password: password​

1. Download PostgreSQL ODBC driver and install => I have succesfully installed the driver.

2. I follow step 2 succesfully here: 
zigzagdoom_1-1619614136818.png

3. For the next step, I put the user name as my data base user, and the password as my database password. Using the credentials listed above.

For the connection string: 

PORT=HEROKU_PORT;DATABASE=HEROKU_DATABASE;POOLING=True;MINPOOLSIZE=1;MAXPOOLSIZE=20;HOST=HEROKU_HOST;COMPATIBLE=2.2.3.0;USER ID=HEROKU_USER;PASSWORD=HEROKU_PASSWORD;SSLMODE=require

I replace the following: HEROKU_PORT, HEROKU_DATABASE, HEROKU_HOST, USER ID, PASSWORD.

My string therefore becomes (using my example credentials:

PORT=5432;DATABASE=d4x;POOLING=True;MINPOOLSIZE=1;MAXPOOLSIZE=20;HOST=ec2x;COMPATIBLE=2.2.3.0;USER ID=user;PASSWORD=password;SSLMODE=require

So the box filled in is:

zigzagdoom_2-1619614582815.png

But I keep getting this issue:

zigzagdoom_3-1619614846505.png

Can someone please help me out here? I seem to following the instructions step by step and keep hitting this issue.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
darling_midas

<SOLVED> And It's super easy! Check out my stackoverflow answer (https://stackoverflow.com/a/77574948/14340684) for an easy-to-follow and detailed guide.

Please consider liking this answer and mark it as the solution if the fruits of my labor helped you!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the link is for AWS. Would it work for Heroku? I am not sure how to get the SSL certificates and so forth. Have you managed to get it working? (Apologies I am a total noob when it comes to Power BI)

I am also not sure why my steps didn't work. - been super confused with how to make it work.

Hi @Anonymous ,

For SSL certifications, you can refer from the official PostgresSQL document:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-ssl.html 

In addition, besides using ODBC to connect, power bi has PostgresSQL DB connector in-build that you can use it to connect:

psdb.png

Here is an article which introduces it in details not only ODBC but also the database connector: PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yinjie

Thanks, but I am unable to connect via ODBC. Can you point out where I am going wrong? I googled and researched the issue but cannot find anything that helps. If you could help me specifically with the issue I am having that would be appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.