Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBI-Educat-User
Frequent Visitor

How do I view multiple cohorts in a table visual?

I'm working with student data and I want to create a table visual containing a list of cohorts in the first column with attendance in the second. The cohorts are things like special needs Y/N, foreign language speaking Y/N, etc. and therefore can crossover. For simplicity, let's say all cohorts are Y/N.

My model is as follows:

Dataset A - unique row per student, contains cohort data (one column per cohort)

Dataset B - multiple rows per student, attendance per day per student

Dataset C - multiple rows per student, I created this as an attempt to achieve my goal, by copying the Dataset A then unpivoting all columns except the student ID

So say I have four cohorts, then C has four rows per student, with three other columns - one for cohort name (e.g. Special Needs), another for value Y/N, and another I made which is a concatenation of these two to show in the visual (e.g. Special Needs = Yes).

I have Dataset A > 1-* > Dataset B on student ID, and Dataset A > 1-* > Dataset C on student ID.

I have as columns in the table visual the concatenated column from C (e.g. Special Needs = Yes), and Attendance which is a measure calculating attendance using columns in B.

The problem is in the table I get the four cohorts in first column, eight rows (good) then one attendance figure for the entire student list repeated throughout the second column (bad). I want the second column to filter attendance for those students who are members of the cohort in the row e.g. row for Special Needs = Yes, attendance for students who have special needs. The attendance measure works everywhere else in my report, filtering on anything other than columns from C. I want to do this so users can sort across all cohort Y/N rows.

Is what I'm after possible?

3 REPLIES 3
PBI-Educat-User
Frequent Visitor

No screenshots. All the information needed is given. Answer from my description or don't answer please.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. If you paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services it will be easier to assist you. Avoid posting screenshots of your source data if possible.

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.