Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

chall069
Frequent Visitor

How do I extract a 7 character phrase after a certain 3 character string?

How do I extract a 7 character phrase after a certain 3 character string? I need to extract the 7 character string after the phrase "PRB". I have tried using the various text after delimiters functions in power query but it does not work because there is not consistant format.

Here is some sample data. For each of these rows I just need the 7 characters after "PRB".

M- PRB0056046-A (<2/22): Issues w/multiple service, S & E
Not a -PRB0056058-RCA: INC12133 -   Prod
Postmortem IR-12: PRB0056579-RCA File upad/dowoad were failing in 
P-PRB0055925-RCA:  Users add in were g added doweam
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chall069 add a new custom column in PQ and add the following expression:

Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Your Column Name],"PRB"),7)

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chall069 add a new column using the following M expression, make sure the exact column name is used from your table. Power Query is case-sensitive.

Text.Combine(List.Transform(List.RemoveFirstN(Text.Split([TEXT],"XX"),1),each Text.Combine({"XX",Text.Start(_,8)})),",")

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

This seems to work well with my case.
Could you elaborate on how the code works? I understand that it adds the column that combines each text with OH- and # of characters after. What does "List.RemoveFirstN" do? 

Could this be modified to work with multiple delimiters? Or would I need to somehow duplicate that and add other delimiters and then combine?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pawel_lyszczarz is this correct assumption to have value after "xx"

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chall069 add a new custom column in PQ and add the following expression:

Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Your Column Name],"PRB"),7)

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Any idea how to extract the text with the delimiter? And maybe if there are more than one?
I would need a code to also look for next match after the first one. 
Another approach would be split column by delimiter, then add a prefix, but I'm left with rows that contain "the rest" of text.
Match is always 10 characters in my data.
Example:

Text   Extraction
Here's a XX-12-1234, and here's a XX-56-7890   XX-12-1234; XX-56-7890

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(Text.Split([Text],","), each "XX"&Text.AfterDelimiter(_,"XX")),", "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Hope this helps.

Ashish_Mathur_0-1702706306886.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

What if text doesn't have "," after the first and next matches?
This was only an example, text in my data can look like this too:

"FOR EXAMPLE XX-11-1234 AND OTHER EXAMPLES XX-56-7890. JUST A FILLER TEXT, NO REPEATING DELIMITERS XX-55-6666 AND SO ON"

You might as well take a representative sample with all complications that you have and show the expected result for that sample.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Any help or article on how to do that?
I tried using Custom Column from Examples but it gives a code to extract text between delimiters which as I've said aren't typical. When given 3 of the "Extraction" samples, it gives "null" in the rest. Is it possible to split column before not after the delimiter? I could split that into rows and then just extract first 10 characters from each.

As requested in my previous message, please share some representative samples with all complications that you have and show the expected result for that sample

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Please see this example, "XX-" is always in the extracted text.
"XZ", "YZ", "XY" changes across the data. Text to be extracted is always 10 characters.

There's sometimes delimiters, but that's not typical.

TEXTEXTRACTION
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SEE XX-YY-1234 OR XX-YY-5678XX-YY-1234, XX-YY-5678
IF NOT SHOWN REFER TO XX-YZ-1234, OPTIONALLY XX-ZZ-1234, XX-XZ-1234.XX-YZ-1234, XX-ZZ-1234
FOR CONDITION SHOWN, SEE XX-XZ-1234. FOR INFORMATION NOT SHOWN ON XX-XZ-1234 SEE XX-YZ-5678 OR XX-ZY-1234XX-XZ-1234, XX-XZ-1234, XX-YZ-5678, XX-ZY-1234

This is perfect, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.