Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I create needed table?

Hi everyone,

I need help and am not even sure how to word my issue so please, be kind.

I have a an Excel file that brings in two tables.  The two tables have the same columns (except 1 has an additional column).  The first table we'll call "Our Company" and the second we'll call "Their Company".

Both tables have 6 columns that I need listed in the rows of a matrix and I need the count of how many in each row (call it Category) equal "Yes" in the first column.  I will be adding additional calculations in more columns.  I further need to show Our Company data and Their Company data on the same row.

Now, for the problem...I have no idea how to accomplish this.  I assume it will involve turning the column categories into a variable but I'm not very well versed in variables.  If I can just get the first formula done - the current count based on all rows - I can use that value to calculate the rest I think.

Here are screenshots of the data and desired output while I try to figure out how to attach the pbix.

Our Company:

Ruthie09_0-1648673509183.png

Their Company:

Ruthie09_1-1648673535581.png

Desired output layout:

Ruthie09_2-1648673568426.png

EDIT:  I can't figure out how to get the actual data into this post.  We aren't allowed to save things to a cloud and I don't know how to make my tables "proper HTML format".  Advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , One is you might have to append these two tables or create a few common dimension. Second I see measure to dimension conversion, I think you have to use calculation groups

Append : https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Calculation Groups- Measure Slicer, Measure Header Grouping, Measure to dimension conversion. Complex Table display : https://youtu.be/qMNv67P8Go0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question...what if I cannot install Tabular Editor?  Are there other ways to accomplish this?

You can copy the data from Excel and post it directly into the message 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I'm with you on the two links you sent but how do I turn those column headers into Categories?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

I'm with you on the two links you sent but how do I turn those column headers into Categories? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.