Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stefanomaviega
Regular Visitor

How can I use the same field in 2 different visuals at the same page (slicer) with different data?

How can I use the same field in 2 different visuals at the same page (slicer) with different data?

Let me try to me more specific, I have a column called category  with several types of categories.

I want to have a slicer only filtering for example 2 categories (indexes, also changed the name of the second slicer) and have another slicer showing the rest of the items and the idea is to  allow the user to have for example one option picked on slicer 'indexes' with only a few options and also select the rest of the data from the other slicer where they can show this data "combined".

So the users can always pick one of the indexes separated from the original slicer but also combine with the other slice in a line graph visual.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Stefano

pbi question.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Stefan,

A slicer needs A column, You can add a calculated column cloned from Category column and name it Index. Then from Index use Filter Pane to filter out the lines you don't want to see. like here

aj1973_0-1625143945444.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @stefanomaviega 

If I am not mistaken, you want to select an Index and see only the related Category to that Index!

This depends on how the relationship is set in your model, so if the 2 fields belong to 2 Tables that are related then change the relationship to both. if not then you will need a DAX formula. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hello Amine,

I only have 1 table with a column called category where I have for example 100 lines, 2 of these lines are indexes that always need to appear in the line graph to be compared with the rest of the other 98 lines.

My idea is to have a slicer called indexes only showing these 2 lines from the same column category with a different name and another slicer called category showing the rest of the 98 items where the user can pick one ore more lines from slicer called category and also pick from slicer called indexes one of the indexes so he can have a comparison between these items and the indexes.

The problem is, when I create the second slicer with the same column and I filter only the 2 lines that I call index the other slicer with the rest of the 98 lines does not show the other items anymore.

Hi Stefan,

A slicer needs A column, You can add a calculated column cloned from Category column and name it Index. Then from Index use Filter Pane to filter out the lines you don't want to see. like here

aj1973_0-1625143945444.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thank you very much sir!

Welcome

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.