Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bd4

How best to structure matrix style data from Excel

Hi - I'd like some advice on how best to transform this data from Excel using the query builder

The data is a survey where there are a list of questions with a cooresponding numeric result, entered on a given date against an ID that represents the group of respondents (i've simplified here for the sake of example)

Team IDDateQuestion 1Question 2Question 3Question 4Question 5Question 6Question 7Question 8Question 9Question 10
ABC16/12/20217.81.25.46.78.55.21.45.67.79.2
DEF23/12/20214.55.79.28.51.24.53.47.69.94.7

I'd like to be able to separate the results from the questions but keep the relationship

I would ideally like to keep the source data in this format since it will be easiest for data owners to enter and maintain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@bd4 the best is to unpivot the data:

transform data -> select team and date column -> right click -> unpivot other columns

it will give you two more columns, called Attribute and Value, and rename these as you see fit. Close and apply

And now you can filter by attribute or team or date and visualize the value of each question the way you want.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bd4

@parry2k thank you! easy when you know how..

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@bd4 the best is to unpivot the data:

transform data -> select team and date column -> right click -> unpivot other columns

it will give you two more columns, called Attribute and Value, and rename these as you see fit. Close and apply

And now you can filter by attribute or team or date and visualize the value of each question the way you want.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.