Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RocketPowerBI19

How Do I Add New Years of Budget to Dashboard Using Combo SharePoint List and Excel Document?

I am an amateur in desperate need of help and not sure how to describe my issue. I built a Reward Program tool a year ago. The program was supposed to only last a year but it was so popular they want to continue it indefinitely. But here's my problem. I built the Power BI dashboard not thinking it would last more than a year now I don't know how to add new years of budget.

It works like this:

1) User utilizes a Power App application to nominate a coworker for a reward

2) That nomination gets entered into a SharePoint list

3) The SharePoint list feeds a Power BI dashboard

The Power BI dashboard looks at the SharePoint list source for the nominations. However, the budget totals per leader are in the Excel document. Here's an example of what the Excel document looks like:

ExcelExample.png

You'll notice that the budget is broken down into Budget, Holdbacks and combos of those. In the Dashboard, to make it easier on me, I simply made the same dashboard 3 times and split it out into tabs. So if a leader wanted to see how much they've spent towards the Budger or towards their Budget + Holdback, they'd click on the related tab:

Tabs.jpg

The dashboard looks at the Excel document and SharePoint list and allows a user to select the leader and the month to see how much of the budget is left over:

Dashboard.jpg

My problem is we are getting new submissions for 2024, but I don't know how to add 2024 budget. What I'd like to do is add a new tab to the Excel document titled 2024 with 2024 numbers so when a Power BI user selects 2024 (or any month in the year 2024) under the Created Date splicer or Approved Date splicer, it compares that to the 2024 budget numbers instead of the 2023 budget numbers.

Is that possible? Can anyone help? 

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

ok, so the first thing would be to add the year column to your sharepoint list.

Ok done. But I don't know what to do next. What I want to have happen is if I select 2024 from either dropdown, the other visualizations show the correct year's budget. So if I select 2023, it'll point to the 2023 budget numbers and if they select 2024 it'll show the 2024 numbers.

Right now I have those as two different tabs in an Excel document (titled 2023 and 2024 respectively). I've been able to import both tabs into the Power BI data list but now not sure how to add the logic so it reflects the correct budget numbers in the visualizations based on selection.

Do you know what I can do?

I wouldn't do separate tabs.  Easier to have a single combined table and then use the slicer to pick the year (you can make the slicer single select if you want).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are there still leftovers from the 2023 budget?  Can you roll them over into 2024?

No left overs. All of 2023's budget was used (plus some), and they won't allow roll over if we don't use the whole budget moving forward either. I'd like it if prior years just acted as a snapshot of that year so we can always reference what we did if possible. Considering we won't be editing any prior submissions in the SharePoint list, I'm guessing that should be doable (but again I'm not an expert so right now I'm banging my head against a wall 😞 ) Thanks for any help you can provide!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.