Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Manjushree
Regular Visitor

Hive gateway setup

I  am using Microsoft Hive odbc connection to set up the hive gateway to refresh hive dataset but getting the below error. The same odbc connection is working on the desktop and fetching the data. I went through some many links and tried all the possible ways, none of the suggestions not working. Any more suggestions please. 

I saw the power bi idea which says it's still not possible, please confirm.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=cc8d8ee5-34eb-4e99-86bb-f9e703113e3b

Note:

1.I have used system DSN 

2.System DSN name and data source name, connection string name matches.

3.I am using basic and tried both windows and anonymous 

4.I have an ODBC connection in all the gateways for testing purposes but no use.

Manjushree_0-1643893964379.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Manjushree ,

Try to make sure you have the same privacy level security:

In Power BI Desktop:

Options and Settings --> Data Source Settings

For every Datasource: -->  Edit Permissions

Set Privacy Level: e.g. „Organizational“

Power BI Service:

Datasets --> (Choose you Datasets which does not update properly) --> settings --> Gateway Connection --> Actions --> (expand you cluster to show all Data Sources) --> (Choose relevant Datasource) --> Advanced Settings --> Privacy setting --> set same level (e.g. „Organizational) as in Power BI Desktop

You can create ODBC data source for cloudera hive, then connect to the ODBC data source in Power BI Desktop, then publish it to service, add ODBC data source under the gateway following the guide in this similar thread, then checkif it works.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Manjushree ,

Try to make sure you have the same privacy level security:

In Power BI Desktop:

Options and Settings --> Data Source Settings

For every Datasource: -->  Edit Permissions

Set Privacy Level: e.g. „Organizational“

Power BI Service:

Datasets --> (Choose you Datasets which does not update properly) --> settings --> Gateway Connection --> Actions --> (expand you cluster to show all Data Sources) --> (Choose relevant Datasource) --> Advanced Settings --> Privacy setting --> set same level (e.g. „Organizational) as in Power BI Desktop

You can create ODBC data source for cloudera hive, then connect to the ODBC data source in Power BI Desktop, then publish it to service, add ODBC data source under the gateway following the guide in this similar thread, then checkif it works.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Manjushree
Regular Visitor

I  am using Microsoft Hive odbc connection to set up the hive gateway to refresh hive dataset but getting the below error. The same odbc connection is working on the desktop and fetching the data. I went through some many links and tried all the possible ways, none of the suggestions not working. Any more suggestions please. 

I saw the power bi idea which says it's still not possible, please confirm.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=cc8d8ee5-34eb-4e99-86bb-f9e703113e3b

Note:

1.I have used system DSN 

2.System DSN name and data source name, connection string name matches.

3.I am using basic and tried both windows and anonymous 

4.I have an ODBC connection in all the gateways for testing purposes but no use.

Manjushree_0-1643812902099.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Number 4 is the critical puzzle piece.  You need to setup the ODBC connection in all of your gateway cluster members and you need to test it in all of them to make sure each cluster member can successfully reach the hive data source. Please confirm that that is the case.

After that you need to use the "dsn=<connection name>"  syntax in both the gateway management console and in the Power BI Desktop.  They must match.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.