Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aandreou
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hide columns reset to unhide when refreshing

Hello everyone,

i'm facing a weird problem. When refreshing data to my pbix file(with refresh button), all hidden columns becomes unhidden.

My data source is sql server and my power bi version is 2.88.1682.0 64-bit (December 2020)

I found this Solved: Hide tables resets to Unhidden with data refresh - Microsoft Power BI Community but didn't work..

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you,

Artemis

5 REPLIES 5
svenv
Frequent Visitor

Hi Matt and Artemis

For the last few months I've experienced the same behaviour - hidden columns become unhidden.  This has happened over and over again in multiple PBIX files.  To make things more confusing, most but not all of the hidden columns become unhidden - in other words, for some reason some of the hidden columns have stayed hidden.

I have hidden columns in both Tabular Editor and in Power BI and this has not made any difference.

In addition, the "unhiding" action does not materialise consistently.   It is not that the columns unhide on a refresh, or a partial refresh, or a PQ "Close and Update", etc.  It is very sporadic.

To make matters worse, the "autosums" are also coming back after they have been removed (also in both Tabular Editor and in Power BI).

Both of these problems are very serious for us because we hide certain fields on purpose and now these changes are being lost, and we also intentionally use measures and not autosums.

I'm determined to find the cause for these problems but I can't seem to find anything on the web, apart from this thread.

Cheers
Sven

Hello @svenv 

please enable the following preview feature: DirectQuery for Power BI Datasets. 

After activating, the problem was solved!

For further info, check out the issue : Hide columns reset to unhidden when refreshing - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards,

Artemis

mattcarter865
Helper I
Helper I

I had this happen to me while working with a directquery data model. Every time I clicked refresh in PBI a lot of the columns that I had hidden became unhidden again. But not all of them. 

I believe it was because I had hidden a majority of them using Tabular Editor and just altering the Hidden attribute to True. However, it looks like when you use PBI to hide a column it also adds an Annotation

PBI_ChangedProperties - ["IsHidden"]

With this value set, the hidden columns stay hidden after data refresh.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@aandreou , log an issue at -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Check for any existing issue

Thank you @amitchandak for your response,

I have created the following issue Hide columns reset to unhidden when refreshing - Microsoft Power BI Community 

Have a nice day

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.