Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mattknight1986
Frequent Visitor

Help with temporal totals (TOTALYTD)

I've been having significant issues with getting TOTALYTD functions to work, having tried out a number of different permutations and combinations, all yielding the same result.

First and foremost I'm trying to analyse a trial balance, using in-month and YTD variances. For some reason, my YTD DAX functions aren't working, returning only the in-month amount (and not returning any values for dates preceding this year).  NB Financial year runs from April-March, which I've unambiguously treated in DAX via the "31 March" string for y/e date [DAX figures it out if I put 31/3 or 3/31 - I;ve tried both and get the same results).

There's surely one piece of logic in the calculation I'm missing or misunderstanding, so if anyone can help me find what this is and rectify, I'll be hugely grateful.

Sample .pbix file is HERE

Thanks in advance

Matt

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @mattknight1986,

For the time inteligence function to work you need to have full calendar table not only the start of the month.

I added a Dim_date table and the change you formula to:

YTDActual =
TOTALYTD (
    SUM ( TrialBalance[Period Actual SUM] );
    DATESYTD ( dimdate[Date]; "31-03" );
    ALL ( dimdate[Date] )
)

I used the solution provided on this link.

Here is the PBIX file with changes.

check if this is what you need.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Hi @mattknight1986,

Made a few changes to the DimDate and added columns to calculate the ficas year and quarter and also a column to sort the column month year trough the modeling tab.

In attach the PBIX file.

Believe it as what you need.

Regards,

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @mattknight1986,

For the time inteligence function to work you need to have full calendar table not only the start of the month.

I added a Dim_date table and the change you formula to:

YTDActual =
TOTALYTD (
    SUM ( TrialBalance[Period Actual SUM] );
    DATESYTD ( dimdate[Date]; "31-03" );
    ALL ( dimdate[Date] )
)

I used the solution provided on this link.

Here is the PBIX file with changes.

check if this is what you need.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix - this gets me part way there, insofar as it gets the sums working correctly.

My issue now is that the built-in date hierarchy is treating April as being in Q2, when it's actually in Q1, and the Year [Calendar] shouldn't be a dividing line, as it should be financial year. So when I try to allocate these out in the dimdate table, I can make the maths work, but the months can't be sorted in order of date due to the many : one relationship. I've not been able to square this circle so far, though I am racking my brain to figure it out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi @mattknight1986,

Made a few changes to the DimDate and added columns to calculate the ficas year and quarter and also a column to sort the column month year trough the modeling tab.

In attach the PBIX file.

Believe it as what you need.

Regards,

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Many thanks for your help @MFelix, much appreciated. I found that your YTD formula reset the total at January 1, so I tweaked it to the following:

YTDActual = 
TOTALYTD (
    SUM (TrialBalance[Period Actual SUM]),
    dimdate[Date],
    ALL (dimdate[Date]),
    "31/03"
)

But the dimdate table was the key to getting this right. What I don't get is why sorting 'monthyear' by 'Sorting_Month_Year' works, when there is more than one value in that column for the same value in 'monthyear', unless I'm missing something?

Hi @mattknight1986,

The columns can be sorted by another columns so when I have one column sorted by date and then use another column that is sort by that one you will get the information sorted as you want.

Check this link.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.