Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with how to process lists

I currently have two tables,

Objects:

Timestamp ¦ Employee ¦ TaskID

16/8/2020          x            [list] {"fr5634-344"}

17/8/2020          y            [list] {"rg5623-933", "fr5634-344"}

The list contains Id's (in text format), and can have 0 or more Id's in them. 

I then have a criteria table that describe what each ID means:

ID                  ¦ Value(gbp)

rg5623-933     20

fr5634-344      60

---
Currently, I am having problems finding the total value(gbp) of a table. I tried unpacking and seperating with commas, but then lists with more than one ID do not relate to the criteria table.

What is the best way to count the total Value(gbp) of certain amounts of rows from the Objects table (in this example £140)? How can I count how many seperate ID's there are (in this example 3)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your case, it is best to split into next lines for records that have more than one item in the list.
To do this:
1.First clear the column of unnecessary characters with Replaced Value to achieve this:

Ex1.png

2. Split a column with a separator: comma. Just do not divide into next columns, but into next rows

Ex2.png

Right-click on the column name, select Split by delimiter, then in the new window select comma and in advanced options select into Rows. Additionally, turn off Quote Character.

Thanks to this, you will achieve division into appropriate values in the list. Now you just need to link this table to the dictionary table and you will get the results.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your case, it is best to split into next lines for records that have more than one item in the list.
To do this:
1.First clear the column of unnecessary characters with Replaced Value to achieve this:

Ex1.png

2. Split a column with a separator: comma. Just do not divide into next columns, but into next rows

Ex2.png

Right-click on the column name, select Split by delimiter, then in the new window select comma and in advanced options select into Rows. Additionally, turn off Quote Character.

Thanks to this, you will achieve division into appropriate values in the list. Now you just need to link this table to the dictionary table and you will get the results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not help. I have imported JSON just fine. This question Is not about JSON. I am asking how I can relate a collumn with a list of ID's, to another Table that has the properties of those ID's.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.