Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

Help with Running Total

I've reviewed several posts and this seems mostly the same as Solved: Re: DAX Question: Running Totals with Missing Valu... - Microsoft Fabric Community, but I can't seem to understand the formula well enough to adapt it.

Basically I have a running total of orders in each hour. It's in a single table (query result) that groups the results per hour and some other dimensions (obfuscated here but we can just say order type).

This is the same data as Stacked Bar and as matrix for comparison.  

Notice the purple category (type 1) is present in hour 1 but missing from hours 2 and 3?  But then it appears again in 4.

I want the running total to repeat the same total if it is unchanged, so that the chart only grows.

Basically the way Excel pivot chart would do it.

I don't really want to use a calendar table because then I'll need a literal table of every hour and that seems weird.  Can I just modify the formula as Solved: Re: DAX Question: Running Totals with Missing Valu... - Microsoft Fabric Community did, perhaps by using unique order type from the same table?

CmdrKeene_0-1690312192149.png

CmdrKeene
1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CmdrKeene , have separate hour column and hour table and have measure like

Cumm Hour= CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Amount]),filter(all('Hour'),'Hour'[Hour] <=max('Hour'[Hour])))

Cumm Based on Hour= CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Amount]), Window(1,ABS,0,REL, ALL('Hour'[Hour]),ORDERBY('Hour'[Hour],ASC)))

or you try cumulative with window with partition by

Continue to explore Power BI Window function Rolling, Cumulative/Running Total, WTD, MTD, QTD, YTD, FYTD: https://youtu.be/nxc_IWl-tTc
https://medium.com/@amitchandak/power-bi-window-function-3d98a5b0e07f

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.