Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBINoob12
Helper I
Helper I

Help with RLS

Hi,

I've created a PowerBI report and set up roles within the report. I've published that report to a workspace and then changed the security settings on the dataset so that the roles are set up correctly.

My first question is whether I need to change any settings on the report before I share the report link or will the RLS just work now?

Second question , I've read that settings need to be updated on the workspace as well for this to work - is this true and how does this work?

Do I need to give all users viewer access to the workspace as well as having them added to the RLS?

I've had a look at the microsoft documentation but I'm still confused so I appreciate anyone who can help here.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBINoob12 ,

• Once you have set up the RLS in desktop and uploaded it to Service, you will also need to Manage security on your model in Service. After you have completed these steps, you can validate that the role you defined is working correctly in the Power BI service by testing the role.
  • Use the Viewer role to enforce row-level security (RLS) for users who browse content in a workspace. You can also enforce RLS without giving access to the workspace, publish an app and distribute it to those users, or use sharing to distribute content.

For more details, please refer to:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Inmel
Regular Visitor

I have a model wich I've implemented RLS, when I enter to it with the admin account that is able to view everything it is working fine, but when I enter with another account one visual fails and that not make sense because the dashboard is just loading less data than admin account. Someone know why this could happen?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to add users to the role in the dataset in the web app. They need to have the report shared with them; you could give them workspace read access but that's usually not recommended. 

You can test viewing the report as a specific user in the dataset ellipsis menu to make sure it's working.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBINoob12 ,

• Once you have set up the RLS in desktop and uploaded it to Service, you will also need to Manage security on your model in Service. After you have completed these steps, you can validate that the role you defined is working correctly in the Power BI service by testing the role.
  • Use the Viewer role to enforce row-level security (RLS) for users who browse content in a workspace. You can also enforce RLS without giving access to the workspace, publish an app and distribute it to those users, or use sharing to distribute content.

For more details, please refer to:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Dynamic Row Level Security with Manager Level Access in Power BI - RADACAD

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.