Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

skerbel

Help separating single row of data into multiple rows

Hi everyone:

I have a single row of data coming into Power BI that I would like to separate into multiple rows. 

The data is from a survey form and is formatted like this in the single row: 

Courtesy: 5 <br> Knowledge: 5 <br> Timeliness: 5 <br> Quality: 5 <br> Overall: 5 <br> Would you like someone to contact you regarding this survey?: No <br>

I know that I can use the transform data option in Power BI and split the data by delimiter, which in this case would be the <br> characters. However! Sometimes a user will not fill out every option in the survey, and if I split the results by the <br> delimiter, you will see some surveys that show the Timeliness option, for example, in the row that should normally be for the Knowledge response. 

I am relatively new to Power BI so I'm wondering if there's a different way to do this so that the fields and values are all properly aligned even if a response has a blank entry. 

Thank you for your time! 

Simon

2 REPLIES 2
skerbel

Hi Greg! Thank you for your prompt reply, I will give this a try and report back ASAP!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@skerbel Try pasting this into a Blank query using Advanced Editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("zc8xC8IwEAXgv3J0diiISxcHR0ERBIfaISZHPLzm4C6p5N8LHSWTk9MbPni8N47dQYpmtDrADu6l77f+oWsiHJO8GUPEhl1pRqaEZg28FMeUW5XnBdUxN+QmhQNUKcD0QjCZURJCFvCSsvN5NcXoNFCKkJ9kYEUXrPsBTvLV102bn7/9xfzpAw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" <br> ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column.1", "Column.2", "Column.3", "Column.4", "Column.5", "Column.6"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Split Column by Delimiter"," <br>","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column.5", "Column.6"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Replaced Value", {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Value", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Value.1", "Value.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Value.1", type text}, {"Value.2", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

In words, split by delimiter on " <br> ". Replace values on last few columns of " <br>" to "". Unpivot the columns. Split the resulting column on colon :

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.