Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KH
Frequent Visitor

Help on error OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataFormat.Error] We couldn't convert to Number

I need some help to fix this error message "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataFormat.Error] We couldn't convert to Number".

Background: I have been downloading two files from SAP and loading them into my powerbi desktop for past 8 months. Today, when i loaded this month's 2 files and clicked refresh, i got error message "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataFormat.Error] We couldn't convert to Number".

Strangely, the error disappears if i remove File A but keep File B. Doing it vice-versa does not work. Meaning the error is coming from File A. But I have not changed the process nor the way I download File A from SAP.

Help:

Is there a way power bi desktop can direct me to the exact location of the error?

How do I fix this error? I didnt change the process and didnt have this error for past 8 months.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KH , 

Please check which step prompt the error information (in Edit Queries), you could try to delete "change type" step or try to see which column is number type in "change step", then  check whether the column type is correct.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello

The same thing happened to me, and the mistake was that in one of the files I had data that was in the format of a number and there was alphanumeric data

I made changes to this data and the error disappeared

Best regards

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KH , 

Please check which step prompt the error information (in Edit Queries), you could try to delete "change type" step or try to see which column is number type in "change step", then  check whether the column type is correct.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.