Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cryptopeck

Help: Odd Filter Behavior - Data appearing in table is missing in basic filtering (filter pane)

Okay Team - After years of getting immense value out of this forum, this is my first post.

Context: I work in hospitality, we aggregate lots of data from 3rd parties. The report in question is a culmination of Profit & Loss data, Labor data, and various budgets.

The problem: On a tab that appears unfiltered (none active in filter pane, no synced filters), I have a matrix (Matrix 1A) which has two row fields from Table "Financials Legend SS" Department (ex. S&M) and SubType (ex. Management Payroll). The matrix shows the detail that I want, yet my visual level report filter pane shows only limited options (Filter Pane 1A).

The caveat: This behavior only happens when I apply ANY filter to the table. The filters I have to use are slicers for: Year, Qtr, Month, and Hotel Name. The first 3 come from the Date table and the fourth comes from the Property table(both 1 to many to Financials).

This odd behavior also appears on another column from the Legend table, Type which can also be seen in the filter pane screenshot. Basic filtering for that column should show more values (ex. "Revenue" and "Rooms Qty"). Note that I do not need these values for Matrix 1A, but in theory they should be there in the filter pane.

I have spent an outrageous amount of time on this forum, others, and in my own head troubleshooting this issue. I'd appreciate any assistance.

Matrix 1A

cryptopeck_2-1646698830310.png

Filter Pane 1A

cryptopeck_3-1646698974144.png

Table: Financial Legend SS

cryptopeck_0-1646698691582.png

Table: Financials

cryptopeck_1-1646698722341.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cryptopeck

Well I went to bed and woke up this morning with an idea... an idea which solved the issue.

The problem was caused by a bi-directional filter in a relationship between contextually unrelated tables. Ultimately this was driven by a larger modeling error involving an associative entity that was doing its job in one place, but causing problems in another.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
cryptopeck

Well I went to bed and woke up this morning with an idea... an idea which solved the issue.

The problem was caused by a bi-directional filter in a relationship between contextually unrelated tables. Ultimately this was driven by a larger modeling error involving an associative entity that was doing its job in one place, but causing problems in another.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.