Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

joansinho
Advocate I
Advocate I

Harmonic Mean

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use the harmonic mean, but I noticed powerBI does not have that function. I am trying to write it from scratch, but I am running into some troubles. Also, I need to group by account names. I have 80 accounts names with 50,000 users. Each user belongs to an account.

Harmean = n/( sum for all xi(1/xi))

What I have so far:

PowerBI_Harmean_Group_by_Account = filter('table1', 'table1'[Account_Name], CountRows('table'[column3])/(sum(1/('table1'[column3])))

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think you should be able to do something like...

n = CountRows('table')

d = SUMX('table', 1/[Uses])

Harmean = [n]/[d]

And put it into Matrix visual.

0.JPG

Note: I think your calculation for A-Business is off, and you are doing avg of avg for A & B sub total.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hmm, is CountRows('table'[column3]), a typo of CountRows('table1'[column3])?

Or is it different table from 'table1'?

And are you trying to calculate harmonic mean of Account Name & count of user?

I.e. Harmean = 80/(sum for all xi(1/xi))

It would help if you can upload small sample file representative of your table. Along with expected result from calculation.

@Chihiro

Thank you for your prompt response.

That was a typo.

This is a small sample of what I haveThis is a small sample of what I haveThe Harmean column is what I want to accomplish. I can do it in excel , But I need to do in PowerBIThe Harmean column is what I want to accomplish. I can do it in excel , But I need to do in PowerBIThis would be my main goal.This would be my main goal.

I am calculating the harmean at Column3 ("Uses"), by grouping the users and the Account Name.

Regards,

Joansinho

I think you should be able to do something like...

n = CountRows('table')

d = SUMX('table', 1/[Uses])

Harmean = [n]/[d]

And put it into Matrix visual.

0.JPG

Note: I think your calculation for A-Business is off, and you are doing avg of avg for A & B sub total.

@Chihiro

Thank you!

Yes, I just noticed I grabbed the wrong value A Business.

I think your explanation is great about calculating the Harmean. I will create two measures "n" and "d" and then a "column = n/d" to obtain the Harmean. Last one question. How do I make sure they group by A and B and by Account name. In excel I used something like this:   "{HARMEAN(IF($C$2:$C$3229=C2,$A$2:$A$3229))}"  to accomplish my goal.

And, Yes! I created I pivot table and I got the average of the Harmean.

Best,

You are welcome 🙂

As for your question.

"Last one question. How do I make sure they group by A and B and by Account name."

DAX, is always calculated in context. Meaning, Filtering and Row context within visual is vital in how it's evaluated.

So structuring your visual is key in displaying correct values.

Other than that, you could use Filter() function to manipulate context, but I'd not recommend it, as you'll need to hard code conditions in the measuer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.