Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP - How to make a line chart that shows the improvement of certain occurrences over time?

Hey there!

I'm trying to make a line chart that show the improvment of occurrences (issues / problems) over time.

I have a table with the date when the issues were detected and when said issues were fixed (if they got fixed). The idea is to show the development of the issues trough time, with the line going up with new issues and down with the closing of older issues. Something like this:

abatista_0-1650562215047.png

The table also have other fields that can be used as filters, like the issues priority (critical, medium and high) and their status (open and closed). The most important filter here is the status, I think, because this is how I know the problem is still unsolved.

The problem his, I can only make the graphics with the issues associated with the date of creation or date of resolution, and they need to have a span in time, if the issue was open for 9 days, then the line should be up for 9 days with that issue. Instead what I have is the line going up on the date that is associated with the issues (ie. if I have 2 issues on March 3rd, the line goes up 2 values, if on the following days I have no issues the line come down to 0, even though the issue is still open). This is what I have:

abatista_1-1650562905440.png

Can anyone help me? Appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

this really has to do with the way your data is modelled.  If you want an issue to be persisted until its resolved, you would probably need a row for every day you are tracking  it as unresolved until it is resolved.  Your data point only says issue on the day 1.  It needs to know the full length of time that is is an issue.   

Doing something with a cummulative count per day,  to add and subtract new issues and resolved issues, or having a row for each day it is open would give you the number you are looking for. But it requires some data modelling.  There are probably other ways of doing it too but this is my suggestion.

You could probably also create a measure but you would need to provide some sample data to see if that would work.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.