Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

maj
Helper I
Helper I

Grouping Data

Hello,

I have a very large dataset (26MM rows) that contains hundreds of customer names.  I want to group them as such:

If customer name is A, group A

If customer name is B, group B

If customer name is C, group C

All customers (including A, B, C), group All Customers

Is this possible?  Thanks!

-maj

9 REPLIES 9
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @maj ,

Maybe you can simply use "groups" to realize it.See below:

Annotation 2020-04-20 160431.png

Here is the reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft,

I don't think grouping will work for this scenario.  I created a group for customer A, another group for customer B, and another group for customer C.  Now I want to create a group for all customers, including customers A, B, and C.  However, the customers A, B, and C are no longer available in the ungrouped values section because they are already grouped.  The 'Include Other group' only uses the remaining ungrouped values, and doesn't give me an option to use both the ungrouped and grouped values.  Please let me know if there is a way around this.  Thanks!

-maj

Hi @maj ,

How about using a measure or calculated column to do the grouping?

Measure as below:

Measure = 
IF(CONTAINSSTRING(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]),{"A,B,C"})=TRUE(),"A,B,C",IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) IN {"A"},"A",IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) IN {"B"},"B",IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) IN {"C"},"C",BLANK()))))

And you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-21 084356.png

Or you can create a calculated column if you need to put it in a column or another certain visual:

Column = 
IF(CONTAINSSTRING('Table'[Customer],{"A,B,C"})=TRUE(),"A,B,C",IF('Table'[Customer] IN {"A"},"A",IF('Table'[Customer] IN {"B"},"B",IF('Table'[Customer] IN {"C"},"C",BLANK()))))

And you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-21 084623.png

For the related .pbix file, pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @maj ,

This is doable in PowerQuery. Considering the umber of records it is best to do this at the source than in Power BI.

What is your data source and type of load - Import or Direct.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing,

My data source is a dataflow that was created through a connection to an Azure Databricks table.  I created the table in Azure using SQL query.  Are you saying it's best to do the grouping in my query, which feeds the dataflow, which feeds my PBI report?

Thanks!

-maj

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

@maj ,

Yes  it's best to do the grouping in  query, which feeds the dataflow, which feeds my PBI report.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@CheenuSing 

I'm not familiar with grouping.  Do you have any suggestion on how to write this in SQL?

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @maj ,

Please send me your current query and also share a set of 10000 records in excel . Upload the excel and query to OneDrive or Google Drive and share the link . Please alsso mention what is the result you expect on the sample data.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@CheenuSing

Thanks again for your help.  Here is the Google Drive link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14jonlT-1K_ByAZ6sQbVrMFen3spTWN3l/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

-maj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.