Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elisabeth2203

Google Analytics to Power BI - star schema

Hi! I'm trying to get data from Google Analytics into my Power BI model. But the API from GA give me some headaches. I am trying to create a star schema to make a proper datamodel, but I dont understand how I should create the dimension-tables?

GA dont allow me to get e.g. only countries/cities without also getting a metric. If I combine the countries/cities with for instance users (metric), I don't think I will have a valid dimension-table? In other words, how did you guys manage to make a proper star schema from GA-data?

I would love to see any examples of the data model behind the Google Analytics dashboards in Power BI! 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @elisabeth2203 ,

Here we need at least a valid measure to display the data.

For more details, please refer to the video on the third-party website.

URL:https : //www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW4s43dmisc

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Google-Analytics-Expression-Error-on-PBI-Desktop/td-p/1...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@elisabeth2203 , Can you share some sample structure? Can tell you how to create

one example - getting common dimension from two tables

Bridge Table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkf35Roman8&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGaaqV92SBD5X2hk3TMNlHhb&index=19

@amitchandak, thank you so much for the reply!

It seems like GA-data is build up from dimension and metrics, and its not possible for me to only get dimensions without combining it with a metric. E.g. to be able to build a star schema for this datamodel, I need atleast one dimension table for geography (country, city) and one dimension for sources. I guess I could choose to combine both country, city and users just to be able to get the data, and then delete the "users"-column and replicas in power query. But im not sure if this is a valid way to make a dimension table?

My next problem is that I dont know how to make the best relationship between the fact and dimension tables, since it is not possible to register different users with a userID (a user in this case only represents a click on the website, and in my understanding it seems like they are kind of "anonymous"). Because of this I can not make a one-to-many relationship towards the fact table, which means that my only option is to create a many-to-many relationship between e.g. city in the dimension and fact-table. But from what I have learned, a star schema should basically only consist of one-to-many relationships, and that many-to-many relations should only be used in special cases.

Not able to get only dimensionsNot able to get only dimensions

DatamodelDatamodel

As you can see, im quite confused when it comes to making a star schema from Google Analytics data, and I would be REALLY happy for all the help I can get!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.