Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Karthik12
Helper V
Helper V

Get date from remote SQL server - Unable to connect

Hello team,

I am struggling to connect my power bi desktop with remote located MS SQL server even though I have followed all the steps.

It will be much appreciable if somebody can support me to clear the issue.

Agenda is to get data to power bi desktop in my PC from remotely located SQL sever running PC.

I am listing down below steps which I performed in remote PC which remotely located in shopfloor production machine.

1. Connected remote PC to a network by dongle.

2. Open SQL server management studio (2019) and connection setting checked "allow remote connections". (my SQL server instance name starts with desktop-id\sql express)

3. In Permissions, I have opted both Windows and server database authentication method and created user name and password for mine use. 

4. Opened SQL configuration manager and checked the network protocols and enable TCP/IP and then fixed in IPall as Port 1433.

and restarted the SQL server express.

5. Opened the windows firewall and craeted the inbound rule for 1433 port.

now I have opened my PC and get data from SQL server then input the server name and in the login i choosed the databse credentials and input server id which i created in remote PC server management studio. 

When I execute, it shows error of below

Karthik12_0-1715233650401.png

Further, I have turned off the windows firewall and try to ping the IP address of the remote PC from my PC. But it is not succesful. When i tried to ping the default gateway address in the PC it can be done with out any issue.

Karthik12_1-1715233789165.png

May I know, any steps to proceed further?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Karthik12 ,

Connecting Power BI Desktop to a remote SQL Server involves a few steps, and it’s essential to ensure that all configurations are correctly set up. This can be a more cumbersome process.

You mentioned that you connected the remote PC to a network using a dongle. Ensure that both your local PC (where Power BI Desktop is installed) and the remote PC (with SQL Server) are on the same network. Confirm that there are no network restrictions (firewalls, VPNs, etc.) preventing communication between the two machines.

Verify that the SQL Server instance name (e.g., desktop-id\sql express) is correct. Double-check for typos or any other issues. Ensure that the SQL Server service is running on the remote PC.

When specifying the server name in Power BI Desktop, use the full instance name (including the instance name and port number if applicable). For example: desktop-id\sql express,1433. Verify that the username and password you created in SQL Server match the credentials you’re using in Power BI Desktop.

You’ve created an inbound rule for port 1433 in the Windows Firewall. Confirm that this rule is correctly configured and applies to the SQL Server process. Additionally, check if there are any other firewalls (such as antivirus software) that might block the connection. And in the Windows firewall, enable incoming port UDP 1434 (in case SQL Server Management Studio on machine A is connecting or a program on machine A is connecting).

Since you mentioned that pinging the remote PC’s IP address failed, let’s troubleshoot this:
Verify that the remote PC responds to ping requests (ICMP traffic). And If the remote PC doesn’t respond to pings, there might be network issues (firewall rules, routing, etc.).

The above advice is based on my experience, and I found the same error as yours in this official Microsoft document, which lists the detailed troubleshooting steps below. If my suggestions do not solve your problem, you can follow the documentation to troubleshoot.
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

vjunyantmsft_0-1715304444678.png

Troubleshoot connectivity issues in SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Also in this thread the same problem as yours was mentioned, you can try to find a solution in it:
asp.net - SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified - Stack Overf...

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Karthik12
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks for your time to answer my query. I will try the same today and give you the feedback.

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Karthik12 ,

Connecting Power BI Desktop to a remote SQL Server involves a few steps, and it’s essential to ensure that all configurations are correctly set up. This can be a more cumbersome process.

You mentioned that you connected the remote PC to a network using a dongle. Ensure that both your local PC (where Power BI Desktop is installed) and the remote PC (with SQL Server) are on the same network. Confirm that there are no network restrictions (firewalls, VPNs, etc.) preventing communication between the two machines.

Verify that the SQL Server instance name (e.g., desktop-id\sql express) is correct. Double-check for typos or any other issues. Ensure that the SQL Server service is running on the remote PC.

When specifying the server name in Power BI Desktop, use the full instance name (including the instance name and port number if applicable). For example: desktop-id\sql express,1433. Verify that the username and password you created in SQL Server match the credentials you’re using in Power BI Desktop.

You’ve created an inbound rule for port 1433 in the Windows Firewall. Confirm that this rule is correctly configured and applies to the SQL Server process. Additionally, check if there are any other firewalls (such as antivirus software) that might block the connection. And in the Windows firewall, enable incoming port UDP 1434 (in case SQL Server Management Studio on machine A is connecting or a program on machine A is connecting).

Since you mentioned that pinging the remote PC’s IP address failed, let’s troubleshoot this:
Verify that the remote PC responds to ping requests (ICMP traffic). And If the remote PC doesn’t respond to pings, there might be network issues (firewall rules, routing, etc.).

The above advice is based on my experience, and I found the same error as yours in this official Microsoft document, which lists the detailed troubleshooting steps below. If my suggestions do not solve your problem, you can follow the documentation to troubleshoot.
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

vjunyantmsft_0-1715304444678.png

Troubleshoot connectivity issues in SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Also in this thread the same problem as yours was mentioned, you can try to find a solution in it:
asp.net - SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified - Stack Overf...

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.