Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohannesM
Helper I
Helper I

Generate table with years and calculated values

I have a table of items with column A containing item ID, column B containing the items lifespan, column C containing the year each table became active, and lastly column D with the items purchase value.

IDLifespanActivation yearPurchase value
40150197510 000
40250195012 000
40330201050 000
40440202040 000

I want to generate a table with calculated residual value for each item and year in between 1970 and 2070. The depreciation rate is linear so the residual value would be calculated by something like D - (Year - C) * (D / B)

IDYearResidual value
401197510 000
40119769 800
40119779 600
40119789 400
40119799 200

I could of course create this table in Excel and import but 1. I would like this to be easy to update and 2. there will eventually be millions of rows. How would I best go about this?

Would greatly appreciate any help, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Xiaoxin,
I actually ended up doing something close to that. I first duplicated the table I needed and then removed some columns to get the leanest table possible. I then created a new table with one column of years from 1970 to 2070 and then simply generated a new table with generate(duplicatedTable, newTable) to get a table with IDs and years. 
Only thing left was to create a if-statement to calculate the value I needed. It is a table with many rows but it doesn't seem to be a problem using if-logic so that's great.
Mabye I will try your solution if mine runs in to issues when we add even more rows to the modell, so thanks 😃

Br
Johannes 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JohannesM,

You can try to use crossjoin function to generate the table with ID and year, then use addcolumns function to add a custom field to lookup values from the raw table records.

NewTable =
VAR _yearList =
    VALUES ( 'Table'[Activation year] )
RETURN
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            CROSSJOIN (
                VALUES ( 'Table'[ID] ),
                GENERATESERIES (
                    MINX ( _yearList, [Activation year] ),
                    MAXX ( _yearList, [Activation year] ),
                )
            ),
            "Residual value",
                VAR total =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( 'Table'[Purchase value] ),
                        FILTER (
                            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
                            [Activation year] <= [Value]
                                && [ID] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[ID] )
                        )
                    )
                VAR activeYear =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( 'Table'[Activation year] ),
                        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), [ID] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[ID] ) )
                    )
                VAR currYear = [Value]
                VAR lifespan =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( 'Table'[Lifespan] ),
                        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), [ID] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[ID] ) )
                    )
                VAR offset = total / lifespan
                VAR diff = currYear - activeYear
                RETURN
                    IF ( currYear >= activeYear, MAX ( total - diff * offset, 0 ), 0 )
        ),
        "ID", [ID],
        "Year", [Value],
        "Residual value", [Residual value]
    )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,
I actually ended up doing something close to that. I first duplicated the table I needed and then removed some columns to get the leanest table possible. I then created a new table with one column of years from 1970 to 2070 and then simply generated a new table with generate(duplicatedTable, newTable) to get a table with IDs and years. 
Only thing left was to create a if-statement to calculate the value I needed. It is a table with many rows but it doesn't seem to be a problem using if-logic so that's great.
Mabye I will try your solution if mine runs in to issues when we add even more rows to the modell, so thanks 😃

Br
Johannes 

sabilahmed
Resolver I
Resolver I

The formula you mentioned could be replicated in DAX:

D - (Year - C) * (D / B)

Question: What is "Year" in the formula?

If you are not comfortable with DAX, could you share  as screeshot of the columns?

Thanks 🙂

Edited my post to include mock-up of the table I have and the table I want to create. I hope it is easier to understand now 😃

Cheers mate.

Just to understand better, do you have 2 Year columns? One for Activation year and one for ....?

So am I rigth in saying (from your formula):

C = Activation Year

Year = Current Year?

Activation Year (C) is the year that the item became active yes.

Year (column B in the new table). I want to show the residual value for all years between 1970 and 2070 for each item. So "Year" is just a list of all years between those dates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.