Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Formula.Firewall: Query references other queries, so it may not directly access a data source.

OK, I've read a little bit about this error but wasn't able to find anything exactly equivalent to what I am running into. Basically, all I was trying to do was add a global parameter so that I could easily change the source of my Folder ingest path. 

This query works great:

let
Source = Folder.Files("c:\powerbi\dev\Ingest\Monthly\FN"),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Transform File from Test (2)", each #"FN Transform File"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Test (2)"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Test (2)", Table.ColumnNames(#"FN Transform File"(#"FN Sample File"))),

The minute I do this (referencing a parameter in the Source line:

let
Source = Folder.Files(#"Root Path" & "\Ingest\Monthly\FN"),
#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Transform File from Test (2)", each #"FN Transform File"([Content])),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from Test (2)"}),
#"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from Test (2)", Table.ColumnNames(#"FN Transform File"(#"FN Sample File"))),

I get the error on the "Expanded Table Column 1" line. Even after reading about this error in a couple blog posts, I do not see how I am running afoul of the formula police and how to fix it.

Any suggestions out there?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had exactly the same issue. Seems like a valid use case to me. I had to turn off the privacy checking to make it work. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I had exactly the same issue. Seems like a valid use case to me. I had to turn off the privacy checking to make it work. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue and tried turning off privacy checking. it works in desktop but when i publish to service...it does not work and throws same error. any suggestions?

@Anonymous  did you find any solution for this?

Thanks Matt, at least I'm not crazy!!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.