Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Griggs
Frequent Visitor

Formatting Excel Table for Row Level Detail in Power BI

Hello,

I am trying to make several Excel documents workable in Power BI. I am okay with pulling everything into Power Query but I am struggling to get everything working at row level. I have attached an image of the table in Excel below:

Capture.PNG

As you can see, each column is a day (one Excel document for each year) which will have a number against it based on the type of day it was, for example, if the individual had a day of annual leave on the 3rd Jan, it would be marked with a 1 (a full day).

To make this workable in Power BI, I ideally need this to read like the following:

NameYearIDTask/BookingStatusDateTime Sum   
Example2023Annual LeaveAnnual LeaveOpen3rd Jan1   
Example2023Project1Project1DClosed4th Jan0.5   
Example2023SicknessSicknessOpen4th Jan0.5   

That way I can easily calculate utilisation by different projects and types of days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Griggs 

use unpivot( which ever columns to appearns in Rows instead of columns) in Powerquery

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Griggs 

use unpivot( which ever columns to appearns in Rows instead of columns) in Powerquery

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.