Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

henrika
Frequent Visitor

Forecasting end of life unit replacement by year month etc. using normal distribution

Hi,
I'm trying to create a report that forecasts when some units will likely need to be replaced. For this I have some data about the unit with its age (in days) and an estimate of how old it will become. I have also created a date table with future dates.
The forecast is provided by a cumulative normal distribution.

Currently I have managed to make a cumulutive sum over all units over the years and have tried to use DATEADD(datetable,-1,DAY) as a filter in a CALCULATE statement to get the value for the previous period. This is likely not optimal as it iterates over all dates. Something that looks in the current scope to the previous period should be better.

The current form of the measure works like [Norm.dist(period.N) - Norm.dist(period.N-1)]. It should ideally be [ Norm.dist(period.N) - Norm.dist(period.N-1) ] / [ 1-Nomr.dist(today() ) ] on a unit basis before it is aggregated, as shown in the lower part in linked Excel file. This change is important for proper forecast for unit age close to expected age.

Link to files:

Unit_forecast_example.pbix 

Excel_testing.xlsx 

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
henrika
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
Believe I solved it myself.
Figured I could use MIN( Date[Date] ) -1 to always find the last date just outside the current scope. I also don't any longer think I need a nested SUMX over dates as that is in a way included in the SUMX over 'data' and the filter context it is produced in.
I now have something like this:

Delta units out =
SUMX (
    'data',
    DIVIDE (
        NORM.DIST (
            INT ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) - data[Start] ),
            [Expected EOL meas.],
            TRUE
        )
            - IF (
                MIN ( 'Date'[Date] ) - 1
                    < TODAY (),
                NORM.DIST ( INT ( TODAY () - data[Start] ), [Expected EOL meas.], 200, TRUE ),
                NORM.DIST (
                    INT ( ( MIN ( 'Date'[Date] ) - 1 ) - data[Start] ),
                    [Expected EOL meas.],
                    TRUE
                )
            ),
        (
                - NORM.DIST ( INT ( TODAY () - data[Start] ), [Expected EOL meas.], 200, TRUE )
        )
    )
)

In addition I should probably add a filter when Max(date) = today() so we omit that 0-point when timedelta=0.
image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
henrika
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
Believe I solved it myself.
Figured I could use MIN( Date[Date] ) -1 to always find the last date just outside the current scope. I also don't any longer think I need a nested SUMX over dates as that is in a way included in the SUMX over 'data' and the filter context it is produced in.
I now have something like this:

Delta units out =
SUMX (
    'data',
    DIVIDE (
        NORM.DIST (
            INT ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) - data[Start] ),
            [Expected EOL meas.],
            TRUE
        )
            - IF (
                MIN ( 'Date'[Date] ) - 1
                    < TODAY (),
                NORM.DIST ( INT ( TODAY () - data[Start] ), [Expected EOL meas.], 200, TRUE ),
                NORM.DIST (
                    INT ( ( MIN ( 'Date'[Date] ) - 1 ) - data[Start] ),
                    [Expected EOL meas.],
                    TRUE
                )
            ),
        (
                - NORM.DIST ( INT ( TODAY () - data[Start] ), [Expected EOL meas.], 200, TRUE )
        )
    )
)

In addition I should probably add a filter when Max(date) = today() so we omit that 0-point when timedelta=0.
image.png

Hei_aQing
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @henrika 

Is your question about dax performance or how to get [ 1-Nomr.dist(today() ) ] ?🤔

Hi @Hei_aQing 
It's is about getting the full formula working together properly. Just producing an answer to what you quouted should be doable, but I'm having trouble getting it to iterate correctly through the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.