Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Keyllis

Fixing poorly organized data

I am starting to collect some new data for my organization, but need a better way to organize it, especially for the purposes of creating a dashboard in PowerBI. I am also a newbie to PowerBI.

How my previous bad habits began:

• Collected data for only one location
  • Kept different kinds of data on different sheets - most notably, while most of my data was monthly, I had some that was quarterly, and a few that were annual which therefore were each kept on different sheets

Problems I am facing now: 

• Now am working with data from multiple locations (will need to compare them to each other + home location)
  • Am assuming that I will need to combine the data measured at different intervals into one sheet somehow... But is that true? and if so, how? If it is not necessary, how do I connect these data together for the purpose of building charts in PowerBI, such as creating a clustered column chart that shows the Q1 data of one data type + monthly data of another related data type together for each location

How my prototype dashboard data is organized:

• Currently only have one point-in-time captured for each column (so for example, Column C only has January 2024 data, while Column D only has Q1 2024 data).
  • Location rows
    • One for each city, plus one for home state average and one for national average (Much of this is from external data sources, such as Cost of Living Index data, so it is not something that I can just average from my other data)
    • For the cities, State is also then listed in the second column (Home state and National average have "null" in those cells). 

Some of what I am assuming needs to be done:

• I will need to have a date column first, and then a location column, followed by all other data columns
  • Would it work to have a couple of columns with some sort of mechanism built in just for filtering quarterly/annual data? e.g. Annual data gets 1/1/2023 in the first column and then gets an "annual" label in a separate column- or Q2 data gets the date 4/1/2023 and some sort of quarterly label in a separate column

How off base am I? What would be the best way for me to organize this data going forward? Is there anything else that I am missing?

1 REPLY 1
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what you are asking for is a issue of modelling the data.

its best to provide some sample data , whether is dummy data or real data,  and give what you expect the output to be.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.