Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sv26
Frequent Visitor

Finding delta between two dates for hierarchical data

My question is more conceptual one and wondering if this is even possible in PowerBI?

I have a hierarchical data model to represent my data collection: a report having many to many relationship with files which has one to many relationship with blocks.

For this, I have 4 tables:

- Report table (with date column) which mainly has a date column, id column

- ReportFiles many to many table 

- Files table which mainly has path column along with other file data

- Blocks table which mainly has hash column along with other block data

I need the user to specify any two dates using slicers to calculate the delta between two reports. The delta means finding what exactly changed between the two dates for all hierarchical data. For files, there is a column for path so understanding which paths were added/removed is important. For blocks, there is a hash value so understanding which hashvalues changed is important. 

For results, I need to present the collection of list of data that changed along with the numerical measures. For example, the visuals should display the file paths and block hash values added and removed along with the counts. The lists and counts should dynamically update in visual if user selects different data ranges.

Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @sv26,

Yes, it is possible to achieve this in Power BI using slicers, measures, and visuals. Here's a high-level approach to accomplish your goal:

1. Create two slicers for date selection:

• Add two slicers to your report canvas and connect both to the date column in the Report table.
    • Change the slicer type to "Date Range" for both slicers.
    • Name one slicer "Start Date" and the other "End Date."
  2. Create measures to calculate the differences between the two dates:

• Create a measure to identify the two reports by the selected dates. Use the SELECTEDVALUE function to get the report ID based on the selected date range.
    • Create measures to find the file paths and block hash values added and removed between the two reports. Use functions like CALCULATE, FILTER, and EXCEPT to get the differences between the two sets.
    • Create measures to count the number of file paths and block hash values added and removed.
  3. Display the results in visuals:

• Use tables or matrix visuals to display the lists of file paths and block hash values added and removed.
    • Use card visuals to display the counts of file paths and block hash values added and removed.

Let me know if you might require further assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Hi Sahir, 

Can you expand on how I can display the list of file paths using measure? Doesn't a measure only return a single value that is often numerical? Can you return column in a measure?

Thanks,

Saket

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.