Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

Filtering Duplicate Data

I am importing data from SQL Server and noticed that my data is getting bloated due to duplicate data that is being loaded. Is there a way to filter out duplicates and keep only the most recent data? Is this suppose to be done in Power Query at the time of ETL? Below are data: Table 1 = the current data including duplicates / Table 2 = expected output

(Table 1 = the current data including duplicates)

transaction_iddescriptiontotaltransaction_datetime
1tacos10.002021-01-26 10:00:26.000
1tacos10.002021-01-26 10:20:52.000
2pizza6.002021-02-03 12:30:43.000

(Table 2 = expected output)

transaction_iddescriptiontotaltransaction_datetime
1tacos10.002021-01-26 10:20:52.000
2pizza6.002021-02-03 12:30:43.000

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@win_anthony in power query, select all columns and then select remove duplicates.

image.png

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@win_anthony in power query, select all columns and then select remove duplicates.

image.png

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k After reworking your suggestion, it ultimately worked out. The only difference with your solution and mine is that I selected the individual column to remove the duplicates. My initial concern was that it was going to remove stores or other legitimate duplicates. 

Thank you so much for your support! 

@parry2k thank you for your support. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same results. My thoughts are that power query is still keeping the duplicate values because the timestamp on the duplicates are unique (please look at my sample table 1 / transaction_id = 1). 

Any other thoughts on how you would approach removing duplicates that have unique datetime stamps? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.