Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

snarfblatt

Filter without losing data across other columns

Hi,

Newer PBI user here. I am trying to filter a table by quantity sold of Product A, while not losing the quantity sold of Product B. The source table contains one product per order per line along with salesperson and quantity sold. There can be multiple lines with the same product and salesperson. 

Ex. Source table:

Salesperson   Product ID   Quantity Sold   
DukeABC881
DukeABC882
DukeDEF991
RamsesDEF991
RamsesJKL221
RamsesABC882
LaraABC881
LaraJKL222

Example - summary table visual with no filters:

Salesperson   Qty Sold ABC88   Qty Sold DEF99   Qty Sold JKL22   
Duke310
Ramses211
Lara102

I need to be able to determine 1) Who has sold ABC88 but hasn't sold DEF99, and 2) For everyone who sold ABC88, how many JKL22 did they sell? Results-wise, on #1 I only want to see the line for Lara. For results on #2 I want to see that Duke sold 3 ABC88 and 0 JKL22, Ramses sold 2 and 1 respectively, and Lara sold 1 and 2 respectively. 

For both questions, if I filter by Qty Sold ABC88 > 0, then because of how the source table is set up with one product per line, I only end up with the lines with ABC88 and thus lose my other product quantities. 

How can I get around this so even if I filter the summary visual by one product, I can still see the counts of the other products for that salesperson? Thanks for your consideration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
snarfblatt

I ended up discovering the SUMMARIZE function and consolidating the table down to one line per salesperson. That was easier to work with than the multiple rows. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
snarfblatt

I ended up discovering the SUMMARIZE function and consolidating the table down to one line per salesperson. That was easier to work with than the multiple rows. 

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Your first question should get answered by my solution in the attached file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Thank you! I ended up consolidating the table (which I wasn't originally planning to do and didn't ask about) because that was easier to work with. I still appreciate your response because I learned about a couple new functions I didn't know about (ex. REMOVEFILTERS). 

DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @snarfblatt 

You can achive your required output in many different ways and below is an example.  

DataNinja777_0-1714790554109.png

DataNinja777_1-1714790575991.png

DataNinja777_2-1714790599113.png

I attach a pbix file.  

Thank you! I ended up consolidating the table (which I wasn't originally planning to do and didn't ask about) because that was easier to work with. I still appreciate your response because I learned about a couple new functions I didn't know about (ex. DISTINCT). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.