Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elaj
Helper IV
Helper IV

Filter the Axis with measure

Hi,

I have a Hierarchial Calender Year, Month, Week.

My Data is on a Weekly scale.

I want to show either weeks, month (aggregated weeks) or years (also aggregated weeks) in a waterfallvisual.

The user always just wants to see a comparison of two weeks, month or years. And only the one selected by the user and the one which is cronoligical before that. Best without using an additional slicer for selecting the granularity.

Example:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

So as far as i know i need an axis in an extra table which has the connection to all these data in a year, month and week format. But how can i say that measure, that it should be only filtered eather yearly, monthly or weekly and in addition should be only filtered by the selected value and the one cronoligical before that?

i tried a bit around and have an example file here pbix 

does anybody have an idea?

thanks for that 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @elaj,

To acheive what you are looking for I did the following:

- added a new column in the Axis Query called Axis_Type

if Text.Length([Axis]) =4 then "Year" else if Text.Length([Axis]) =8 then "Month"  else "Week"

- added two order by columns to the Calendar Query, ranks to get context for moving back in time, this involved grouping and expansion so I will paste the entire power query expression

let
    Quelle = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bdKxagNBEIPhd3Ht4laaxqWbFIHUKYwxDqQ1Id28fZaFIzPSNTZ7fMXwo9vthG1cHu/P1+NznM7rNf/me/7OL/dzFTABETRBEWEi/sXb91e7Y77ljiVgAiJogiLCRLnj4/nb7phvuWMJmIAImqCIMFHuuP70O+Zb7lgCJiCCJigiTLQeKT3SeqT0SOuR0iOtR0qPrHdgqzvF5jvdBUxABE1QRJgod5SdLiE73QVMQARNUESYKHeUnS4hO90FTEAETVBEmCh3lJ0uITvdBUxABE1QRJhoPVJ6pPVI6ZHWI6VHWo+UHn2no+10HOx0tJ0WARE0QRFhotxRdzoOdjraTouACJqgiDBR7qg7HQc7HW2nRUAETVBEmCh31J2Og52OttMiIIImKCJMtB4pPdJ6pPRI65HSI61HSo99p/c/", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, year = _t, month = _t, week = _t]),
    #"Geänderter Typ" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Quelle,{{"ID", type text}, {"year", Int64.Type}, {"month", type text}, {"week", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Geänderter Typ", "Custom", each Number.ToText([year])&"-"&[month] &"-"& "01"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Custom", "Date"}}),
    #"Inserted Lowercased Text" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "monthOrder", each Date.ToText([Date], "yyyyMM")),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Lowercased Text", "weekOrder", each Date.ToText([Date], "yyyyMM")&"0"&Text.End([week],1)),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom1",{{"weekOrder", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Index", {"monthOrder"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [ID=nullable text, year=nullable number, month=nullable text, week=nullable text, Date=nullable date, monthOrder=text, weekOrder=text, Index=number]}}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MonthOrderBy", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index1", "Count", {"ID", "year", "month", "week", "Date", "Index"}, {"Count.ID", "Count.year", "Count.month", "Count.week", "Count.Date", "Count.Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Count",{{"Count.Index", "WeekOrderBy"}, {"Count.Date", "Date"}, {"Count.week", "week"}, {"Count.month", "month"}, {"Count.year", "year"}, {"Count.ID", "ID"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns1"

- Added one calc columns to the Axis Table to get the value to navigate back in time with

lookback = 
var _id = [ID]
var _axis_type = [Axis_Type]
return
SWITCH(_axis_type,
"Year", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[year]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id)),
"Week", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id)),
"Month", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[MonthOrderBy]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id))) 

- removed the relationship between calendar and axis

richbenmintz_0-1631060274457.png

- Created a measure that displays the selected and prior period in the waterfall with Axis on the X axis

Axis Measure = 
var _date_type = 
SWITCH(TRUE(),
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), "week",
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[month]), "month",
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[year]), "year")
return 
SWITCH(true(),
    _date_type = "week" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "week" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[ID] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[ID]))),
    _date_type = "month" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "month" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[MonthOrderBy])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[MonthOrderBy]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[MonthOrderBy] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[lookback]))),
        _date_type = "year" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "year" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[year])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[year]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[year] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[lookback])))   
)

- results in the following

richbenmintz_1-1631060397513.png 

richbenmintz_2-1631060417953.png

richbenmintz_3-1631060437065.png

attached you will find the pbix file you provided with the updates made.

Hope this works for you!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
emilmorkeberg
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

If I have understood your issue correct, your want to control the category of the waterfall chart (week/month/year).

If so, you can use bookmarks and buttons/shapes to control the output of a visual.

More about bookmarks here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-bookmarks

If this is not what you're looking for, please let me know

@emilmorkeberg 
Hi,

I am already aware of the bookmark solution. And normally i would do it like that. But the customer doesnt want to have bookmarks. Also they dont want to have too much confusing things to do on the users side. The second thing is... even when i would use bookmarks.. i dont know how to filter just the selected year/month/week and the one before it.

Hi @elaj,

To acheive what you are looking for I did the following:

- added a new column in the Axis Query called Axis_Type

if Text.Length([Axis]) =4 then "Year" else if Text.Length([Axis]) =8 then "Month"  else "Week"

- added two order by columns to the Calendar Query, ranks to get context for moving back in time, this involved grouping and expansion so I will paste the entire power query expression

let
    Quelle = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bdKxagNBEIPhd3Ht4laaxqWbFIHUKYwxDqQ1Id28fZaFIzPSNTZ7fMXwo9vthG1cHu/P1+NznM7rNf/me/7OL/dzFTABETRBEWEi/sXb91e7Y77ljiVgAiJogiLCRLnj4/nb7phvuWMJmIAImqCIMFHuuP70O+Zb7lgCJiCCJigiTLQeKT3SeqT0SOuR0iOtR0qPrHdgqzvF5jvdBUxABE1QRJgod5SdLiE73QVMQARNUESYKHeUnS4hO90FTEAETVBEmCh3lJ0uITvdBUxABE1QRJhoPVJ6pPVI6ZHWI6VHWo+UHn2no+10HOx0tJ0WARE0QRFhotxRdzoOdjraTouACJqgiDBR7qg7HQc7HW2nRUAETVBEmCh31J2Og52OttMiIIImKCJMtB4pPdJ6pPRI65HSI61HSo99p/c/", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, year = _t, month = _t, week = _t]),
    #"Geänderter Typ" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Quelle,{{"ID", type text}, {"year", Int64.Type}, {"month", type text}, {"week", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Geänderter Typ", "Custom", each Number.ToText([year])&"-"&[month] &"-"& "01"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Custom", "Date"}}),
    #"Inserted Lowercased Text" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "monthOrder", each Date.ToText([Date], "yyyyMM")),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Lowercased Text", "weekOrder", each Date.ToText([Date], "yyyyMM")&"0"&Text.End([week],1)),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom1",{{"weekOrder", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Index", {"monthOrder"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [ID=nullable text, year=nullable number, month=nullable text, week=nullable text, Date=nullable date, monthOrder=text, weekOrder=text, Index=number]}}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MonthOrderBy", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index1", "Count", {"ID", "year", "month", "week", "Date", "Index"}, {"Count.ID", "Count.year", "Count.month", "Count.week", "Count.Date", "Count.Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Count",{{"Count.Index", "WeekOrderBy"}, {"Count.Date", "Date"}, {"Count.week", "week"}, {"Count.month", "month"}, {"Count.year", "year"}, {"Count.ID", "ID"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns1"

- Added one calc columns to the Axis Table to get the value to navigate back in time with

lookback = 
var _id = [ID]
var _axis_type = [Axis_Type]
return
SWITCH(_axis_type,
"Year", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[year]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id)),
"Week", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id)),
"Month", CALCULATE(max('calendar'[MonthOrderBy]), FILTER('calendar', 'calendar'[ID] = _id))) 

- removed the relationship between calendar and axis

richbenmintz_0-1631060274457.png

- Created a measure that displays the selected and prior period in the waterfall with Axis on the X axis

Axis Measure = 
var _date_type = 
SWITCH(TRUE(),
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), "week",
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[month]), "month",
    HASONEVALUE('calendar'[year]), "year")
return 
SWITCH(true(),
    _date_type = "week" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "week" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[WeekOrderBy]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[ID] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[ID]))),
    _date_type = "month" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "month" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[MonthOrderBy])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[MonthOrderBy]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[MonthOrderBy] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[lookback]))),
        _date_type = "year" && SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[Axis_Type]) = "year" 
    && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) >= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[year])-1 && VALUES('Axis'[lookback]) <= SELECTEDVALUE('calendar'[year]), CALCULATE(SUM(data[value]), FILTER(ALL('calendar'), 'calendar'[year] = SELECTEDVALUE('Axis'[lookback])))   
)

- results in the following

richbenmintz_1-1631060397513.png 

richbenmintz_2-1631060417953.png

richbenmintz_3-1631060437065.png

attached you will find the pbix file you provided with the updates made.

Hope this works for you!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.