Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TTeo_Ryn
Regular Visitor

Filter table to show specific columns according to button pressed

Hi all,

I have been trying to create a table that dymanically changes the columns shown when a button is pressed. The button would filter the table and only show the columns with the button keyword in the header

There exists 3 columns for 1 keyword i.e. for the keyword "Arbitration" there are the columns Arbitration1, Arbitration2 and Arbitration3. Arbitration1 has been added to the first table, Arbitration2 to the second table and Arbitration3 to the third.

i.e. when "Arbitration" is clicked, the columns that have been added to the table visual would filter and only show columns containing the word "Arbitration" in the header.

00000000aaaaaa.png

I'd like this set of buttons to filter across only these 3 table visuals and affect any others on the page.

hope someone can help, myself and the last remaining hair on my head that I haven't pulled out yet would be so grateful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kpost
Super User
Super User

I don't believe it is possible to dynamically display columns in a table visual based on slicer selection, the way you are trying to do.

but what you CAN do is use bookmarks.

See the attached .pbix file as an example. 

In the three images below, the three values above the table are clickable buttons.

Depending on which one you click, the table below them will display differently.

1.PNG

2.PNG

  

3.PNG

Send me a private message if you want to pursue this as a possible solution and are not familiar with bookmarks and we can work through it together.

Some pointers:  When you make your bookmarks, un-select "Data", and make sure that "Selected visuals only" is selected.  Apply the bookmark to only affect the tables that you want.  You will become very familiar with the "View -> Selection" and "View -> Bookmarks" parts of Power BI if you aren't already.

Each Bookmark effectively makes the table you want to be visible, while hiding the ones you do NOT want to appear.  You will therefore have to make a different bookmark and a corresponding table, for every different view of the table that you want.

///Mediocre Power BI advice, but it's free///

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
kpost
Super User
Super User

I don't believe it is possible to dynamically display columns in a table visual based on slicer selection, the way you are trying to do.

but what you CAN do is use bookmarks.

See the attached .pbix file as an example. 

In the three images below, the three values above the table are clickable buttons.

Depending on which one you click, the table below them will display differently.

1.PNG

2.PNG

  

3.PNG

Send me a private message if you want to pursue this as a possible solution and are not familiar with bookmarks and we can work through it together.

Some pointers:  When you make your bookmarks, un-select "Data", and make sure that "Selected visuals only" is selected.  Apply the bookmark to only affect the tables that you want.  You will become very familiar with the "View -> Selection" and "View -> Bookmarks" parts of Power BI if you aren't already.

Each Bookmark effectively makes the table you want to be visible, while hiding the ones you do NOT want to appear.  You will therefore have to make a different bookmark and a corresponding table, for every different view of the table that you want.

///Mediocre Power BI advice, but it's free///

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.