Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RazvanSer
Frequent Visitor

File contains corrupted data after October 2018 update

Hi All,

I have a problem with the October 2018 update. After update, I'm not able to load the same database that I used before update.

If I add data to the existing report and just press refresh it works, but if I want to use the same database in another PBI file I got the error "File contains corrupted data". Moreover, I am not able to load any excel file in the new version of PBI.

From what I see the problem is that all the files from my PC have some sort of encryption...but why I was able to work with these files until Oct update and now I'm not.

I have tried to reinstall PBI, delete Cache and CEF folders and reinstall but nothing is working...

Hope that somebody have any ideea why this is happening and how to fix it.

Thank you for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
syedm
Frequent Visitor

Hello All,

Even am getting same error "File contains corrupted data" when launching Power BI desktop. I uninstalled Power BI, cleared temp files and installed. Still same issue. Any got solution for this ?

Regards

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RazvanSer

I can reproduce your problem.

encrypt an excel file

8.png

connect this excel file to power bi desktop

5.png

It should note that Power Bi desktop doesn't support to import data from password protected Excel file currently.

Here is an idea you could vote it up.

If you need the excel file to remain protected/encrypted in some way, you could remove passsword and instead, move the files to a secure folder that limited people have access to.

Reference: power query accessing password protected workbook

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, all excel files that I use are automatically encrypted by a security software (company policy), they are not password protected, so even if I move these files to a secure folder they will end up being encrypted anyway...

What is curious is that in the previous version of PBI I didn't have this issue...this started after Oct update...and I don't have/find the install kit for September version to see if installing that version will solve the issue...

Thank you for your help!

Razvan

Hi @RazvanSer

Did you remember how you get data from these files with previous version?

Do you need to enter some credential for the data source?

Or does the security software give permission for your power bi account?

How about sign in with your power bi account and get data later?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

I just loaded the data from excel without any credentials. I didn't even had to sign in to load data...it just worked as it was.

To be honest, I don't have a power BI account.

Thank you for your help,

Razvan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.