Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

id9213
Helper I
Helper I

Field parameters conidtionnal

Hi guys,

I have an issue I am not sure it is possible to solve: I created a list with field parameters that I would like to filter based on a simple condition.

Is it possible to dynamically filter a list? 

Somehting like:

Filter_List = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(Table)="xxxx",
-- show a selection of elements from a list 
)

Thanks a lot for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@id9213,

See if you can adapt the solution below. The concept is to create a table ParameterFilter that has a relationship with the system-generated parameter table. Then create a slicer using ParameterFilter, and it will display only the relevant items in the list.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sorting-Calculation-Group-within-Headers/m-p/2854012#M98371... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@id9213,

See if you can adapt the solution below. The concept is to create a table ParameterFilter that has a relationship with the system-generated parameter table. Then create a slicer using ParameterFilter, and it will display only the relevant items in the list.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sorting-Calculation-Group-within-Headers/m-p/2854012#M98371... 

Thanks a lot @DataInsights , that is working!

I would only have one additional demand to make it perfect: when I change the "filtering" list, the choice of the second one still remain. That means that as long as I do not select something, you will have an item selected that should not be available.

Do you know if there is an option to "reset" a list to avoid this issue?

Thanks a lot for your help.

@id9213,

Can you illustrate the issue with screenshots?

Sure @DataInsights . Here's the issue.
Let's say I have a list of grades:

1.PNG

When I select one, I will have a choice of employees with the corresponding grade. Examples:

4.png...

Using your technique is perfectly working. The only issue I have is: when I select Employee 5 for example and I change the grade, the ticker will still be on Employee 5, even is the grade does not correpond. Is there a way to reset the second list to avoid that?

Thanks a lot

@id9213,

I've seen this behavior when a slicer filters another slicer. The secondary slicer retains its value after the primary slicer is changed (the value in the secondary slicer is no longer valid in the new filter context of the primary slicer). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to resolve this.

No problem.
I changed my graphs in order to show nothing when this happens. Not a big issue, I just wanted to checkif there was somehting to do or not.
Thanks a lot for your help @DataInsights 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.