Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BriGoon
Frequent Visitor

Excel Power Query - How to use Dynamic Value in SQL Statement

Hello All,

I have an excel spreadsheet. I want to pull some data from a SQL database and display it in the spreadsheet. I also have a cell in the spreadsheet. I would like to have a user enter a value in that feild and then use that value in the where clasue of my SQL statement. 

If I hard code the value this works: 

let

Source = Sql.Database("DatabaseServer", "DatabaseName", [Query=("SELECT *#(lf)FROM [Server].[database].[dbo].item as i#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].itemwhse as iw on i.item = iw.item#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].commodity as cc on i.comm_code = cc.comm_code#(lf)Where i.item Like '0013%'")])
in
    Source

If I add the code to pull the cell value and place it into the SQL statement like this: 

let
    Source1 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="itemFilter"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source1,{{"item", type text}}),
    Source = Sql.Database("DatabaseServer", "DatabaseName", [Query=("SELECT *#(lf)FROM [Server].[database].[dbo].item as i#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].itemwhse as iw on i.item = iw.item#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].commodity as cc on i.comm_code = cc.comm_code#(lf)Where i.item Like '" & #"Changed Type" & "'")])
in
    Source

I get this error: 

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator & to types Text and Table.
Details:
    Operator=&
    Left=SELECT *
FROM [server].[database].[dbo].item as i
LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].itemwhse as iw on i.item = iw.item
LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].commodity as cc on i.comm_code = cc.comm_code
Where i.item Like '
    Right=Table

How do I convert the value I pulled from the cell to text? (I assume Power Query is unable to do the type converion just using the & operator?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BriGoon,

The first two steps return a table. Though there could be only one value, that can't be used as a text string. Please try it out like below.

let
    CustomValue = Source1{0}[item],
    Source = Sql.Database("DatabaseServer", "DatabaseName", [Query=("SELECT *#(lf)FROM [Server].[database].[dbo].item as i#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].itemwhse as iw on i.item = iw.item#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].commodity as cc on i.comm_code = cc.comm_code#(lf)Where i.item Like '" & Text.From(CustomValue)  & "'")])
in
    Source

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

@BriGoon  and @v-jiascu-msft 

I'm pretty new here and I'm trying to do the same thing. Is the hard code written in the Get data>from database>from oracle database ?

Is this where you're entering the code? Also, where are we referring the cell address of where the user is inputting the data?? How do you refer to that cell address in the code?

Please help.

Regards,

Smith

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BriGoon,

The first two steps return a table. Though there could be only one value, that can't be used as a text string. Please try it out like below.

let
    CustomValue = Source1{0}[item],
    Source = Sql.Database("DatabaseServer", "DatabaseName", [Query=("SELECT *#(lf)FROM [Server].[database].[dbo].item as i#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].itemwhse as iw on i.item = iw.item#(lf)LEFT JOIN [server].[database].[dbo].commodity as cc on i.comm_code = cc.comm_code#(lf)Where i.item Like '" & Text.From(CustomValue)  & "'")])
in
    Source

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, that is what I thought might be happening but was not sure how to access a single item. 

If anyone is interested, I ended up building a function called GetValue() to get the values (I needed to do this for multiple sheets/queries)

(rangeName) =>
    Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name=rangeName]}[Content]{0}[Column1]

I then just assing a name to the cell and call the function to get the value: 

varName = Text.From(GetValue("cellName"))

Then I can use the variable in th Query concatination. 

Thanks Dale!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.