Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sc20d2

Error saving pbip project to Google Drive share: couldn't open the file ...shortcut-targets-by-id...

In Power BI Desktop, I used to be able to save a pbip project to a Google Drive respository that was mapped as a local drive. Just in the past few days, I can open it, but it fails when I try to save it with:

save.png

No other files in this location fail in the same manner, and I can successfully save this as a pbix file in this same location. Just trying to see if this is something that was just introduced in the latest version and/or if there's a workaround that I can use here other than saving as the older pbix file format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sc20d2 ,

If I understand correctly, the issue is that you couldn’t save the document. Please try the following methods and check if they can solve your problem:

1.Ensure that both Power BI Desktop and the Google Drive application are up to date.

2.Check that you have the necessary permissions to write to the Google Drive folder.

3.Ensure that the pbip file is not open or locked by other application.

Anyway, you can use the following method as workarounds:

1.You can try to shorten the file path by moving the file to a folder with a shorter path name.

2.Saving the pbip file locally on the machine first and then manually move it to the Google Drive folder to see if that works.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sc20d2 ,

If I understand correctly, the issue is that you couldn’t save the document. Please try the following methods and check if they can solve your problem:

1.Ensure that both Power BI Desktop and the Google Drive application are up to date.

2.Check that you have the necessary permissions to write to the Google Drive folder.

3.Ensure that the pbip file is not open or locked by other application.

Anyway, you can use the following method as workarounds:

1.You can try to shorten the file path by moving the file to a folder with a shorter path name.

2.Saving the pbip file locally on the machine first and then manually move it to the Google Drive folder to see if that works.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

Hi @v-jiewu-msft ,

Thanks for the notes. Your last hint did help in that I saved the pbip locally and moved it over to Googe Drive. I'm now able to open up the pbip from the Google Drive and save it again. I'm not sure what caused the problem to start happening, however. Perhaps one of the files in the project got locked, and the error messages from Power BI were just not very helpful?

At any rate, thanks again for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.