Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jas111
Frequent Visitor

Embedding a Word document into a Power BI desktop report

Hi all, 

I was just hoping to get some guidance. I have a Power BI report which i would like to add an additional cover page (user guide) which is a Word document. Is there any way to embed the Word document into the desktop report.

NB: the Word document has been loaded onto Sharepoint.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jas111 ,

Yes, you can embed a Word document into a Power BI report by using the "Web View" visual. Here's how:

• Open your Power BI report in Power BI Desktop.
  • In the Visualizations pane, select the "Web View" visual.
  • In the Web View Properties pane, enter the URL of the Word document that you want to embed. You can find the URL of the document by going to Sharepoint and opening the document, then copying the URL from the address bar of your web browser.
  • Once you have entered the URL, the Word document will be displayed in the Web View visual. You can resize and move the visual as needed to fit it into your report layout.

Note that the Web View visual only works in the Power BI Desktop application, and it will not be displayed in the Power BI service when you publish your report. If you want to include the Word document in the published report, you will need to convert it to a PDF or another format that can be displayed in the Power BI service. You can use a tool like Adobe Acrobat to do this.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jas111 ,

Yes, you can embed a Word document into a Power BI report by using the "Web View" visual. Here's how:

• Open your Power BI report in Power BI Desktop.
  • In the Visualizations pane, select the "Web View" visual.
  • In the Web View Properties pane, enter the URL of the Word document that you want to embed. You can find the URL of the document by going to Sharepoint and opening the document, then copying the URL from the address bar of your web browser.
  • Once you have entered the URL, the Word document will be displayed in the Web View visual. You can resize and move the visual as needed to fit it into your report layout.

Note that the Web View visual only works in the Power BI Desktop application, and it will not be displayed in the Power BI service when you publish your report. If you want to include the Word document in the published report, you will need to convert it to a PDF or another format that can be displayed in the Power BI service. You can use a tool like Adobe Acrobat to do this.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Henry,

This sounds great - but I cannot see a "Web View" in my Visualizations pane, nor can I find it if I search the Marketplace online. Can you please advise how I can obtain this visual?

Mnay thanks

Morven

Thanks for your input Henry, I actually ended up inserting a textbox and inserting a hyperlink through that to link it up to a non-editable PDF version of the document (changed the word doc to PDF format). It seems to work well now. Thanks for your help nontheless 🙂

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello,

What you could do is the you take a screenshot of this word document and add it as image.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Unfortunately this is not an option as the word document contains hyperlinks as well which need to remain active.

What you could do is write these in a text box in a page and make this page as a tooltip and you put an icon to show it.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution so it would appeare to others, Appreciate your Kudos👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.