Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically switch between Date and DateTime on X Axis of chart

Hello everyone! I have following scenario to implement:

- we have two tables with weather forecast. One is for next 15 days and have day granularity (15 records for a single city), second is for next 72 hours and have hour granularity (72 records for a single city).

- we would like to present forecast on one linear chart and allow end user to switch between daily and hourly forecast - the requirement is that X Axis will show dates or datetimes accordingly

First idea I had was to union these two tables, add attribute to distinguish daily and hourly records and use it in slicer but it would requires my Date dimension table to became DateTime dimension - I would rather avoid it as this hourly weather forecast data is the only one in the model that is not daily granulated. 

Then I tried to create Time dimension table but I was not able to present my 72 hours on X axis hour by hour. I guess it's good idea when we want to have hierarchy but in my case I just want to show 15/72 entries on X axis without any drill down.

I would be grateful for any help!

EDIT: maybe I will try to explain my need in an easier way:

Let's say we have fact table with date dimension table and time dimension table. If I use "Table" visualisation I can place Date column from Date dimension in the first column, then Time column from Time dimension in the second column and finally value from fact in third column. Values are presented using DateTime granularity. Is it possible to do the same in line chart? I want to have datetime on X Axis but want to keep Date and Time in separate dimensions. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would stack two visuals and use buttons and bookmarks. 2 buttons, 72 hours and 15 days. 2 bookmarks for 72 hours and 15 days and these show one visual and hide the other.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your method may not be feasible. If you want to maintain a normal cardinality on the x-axis, you need to make the entire visual large (outside the report display range), which is not feasible. So I suggest you use the method I recommended above

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As mentioned by Greg, you can combine the button and bookmark to fulfill your requirement. Please refer to the detailed steps in https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/04/20/dynamically-changing-a-chart-axis-in-power-bi-using-bookmarks-and-buttons/

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reply @v-deddai1-msft

But what about case with separate Date and Time dimensions? Is it posible to present combined DateTime on X Axis of the chart? I failed to do that. As we want to have the smallest cardinality possible it's reasonable to have date and time in separate tables. This is what I want to have (with separate date and time dimensions):

pbi_datetime_axis.jpg

Best regards!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your method may not be feasible. If you want to maintain a normal cardinality on the x-axis, you need to make the entire visual large (outside the report display range), which is not feasible. So I suggest you use the method I recommended above

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would stack two visuals and use buttons and bookmarks. 2 buttons, 72 hours and 15 days. 2 bookmarks for 72 hours and 15 days and these show one visual and hide the other.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.