Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

simrantuli
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dynamically add or remove columns from table visual using slicer selection

Hi All,

I am looking to fulfil a requirement wherein I want to give the flexibility to the user to select which columns he/she wants to see in the table visual based on slicer selection.

E.g. let's say the user only wants to see Country and Sales in the table so he will select Country and Sales from the slicer. If he also wants to see column Profit, he can select Profit from the slicer and the table should show these 3 columns now.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @simrantuli 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may go to Power Query, add an index column and then unpivot column 'Country', 'Sales', 'Profit'.

Add an index column:

d2.png

Unpivot columns:

d3.png

Then you may use decide which column to display with the slicer in Power BI Desktop.

d4.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @simrantuli 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may go to Power Query, add an index column and then unpivot column 'Country', 'Sales', 'Profit'.

Add an index column:

d2.png

Unpivot columns:

d3.png

Then you may use decide which column to display with the slicer in Power BI Desktop.

d4.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amit,

Thanks for replying.

But my requirement is slightly different. I want to create a table, the columns (dimensions and measures) of which can be dynamically added or removed by the user using slicer selection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @simrantuli have you got the Solution?

Use "Field Parameters". If you dont see it go to Options > Preview > Enable Field Parameters. 

then create a parameter with columns you would like. It will solve all the mentioned problems unless you are connected live. It works in composite and import models. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.