Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IvanG92
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic tables data aggragation

Hi everyone,

I would like to build something like a "star schema" on PowerBI for my econometric system.

I want to explain the current S&P500 value and predict the next month value using many variables.

Table number 1 (the center of star) is the monthly series of S&P500 values (Column A = date, column B = closing price of the index).

Let's suppose I have 3 variables right now, each one linked to the center in a star schema. Each variable's table has 2 columns, date and variable's value of the previous month (the value is normalized into a decile, so it can be 1, 2, ..., 9, 10).

In the central table I want to add a column with the predicted value of the price deriving from the variable's tables. This prediction is made like this:

(S&P500 average historical value when variable A is in the current decile + S&P500 average historical value when variable B is in the current decile + S&P500 average historical value when variable C is in the current decile) / number of variables, 3 in this case

Then I want to add or remove variables by simply linking new tables to the center without writing or editing formulas in order to neutralize potential omissions (I'm currently using more then 50 variables and making errors is easy and difficult to correct).

Is it feasible in PowerBI or do you suggest other software? Right now the model is made in Excel but with a single table including all the variables, so adding or removing one is not immediate.

My goal is to have a "plug and play" system that pretty much does not need manutention and updates.

Thanks a lot!

2 REPLIES 2
IvanG92
Frequent Visitor

I'm still not able to solve my problem...

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IvanG92 ,

I’d like to suggest you take a look the official document about star schema if it helps for your scenario:

Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.