Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic radar visualization based on multiple input parameters

Dear all, 

I am using radar chart to visualize data, and the table Metrics using to visualize that chart will have the structure as below:

NghiaPLT_0-1675758679997.png

And the radar chart will be visualized like this one at the moment:

NghiaPLT_0-1675758827016.png

So this radar chart is visualizing the "Actual" part (which has been calculated before) based on 4 metrics A, B, C, and D.

Now, I want to allow user to input the value for the expected part of these 4 metrics in order to display the "Expected" part on this radar chart.

Currently, I am creating 4 numeric range parameters to store the input value from user for these 4 expected metric values.

NghiaPLT_1-1675759235007.png

And this is how I create the numeric range parameter (all of them have the same configurations)

NghiaPLT_2-1675759365015.png

The final purpose is to visualize the expected value of each metric onto the radar chart (if the user does not fill in the input value of that metric, it will set to the default value, which is 20)

This is the expected output (if users do not enter anything, the expected value of all metrics will be 20)

NghiaPLT_3-1675760937812.png

I have some questions and need support and suggestions from everyone:

1. When I create the numeric range parameter, I am facing the problem. The number does not show exactly as user inputted. For example, when I fill in the metric value 20.56, it is automatically changed to 20.58 (when pressing Enter or clicking outside the field). I do not know why it does not keep the input value (It can change higher, lower, or keep remain).

2. I cannot find any DAX to collect and get the input value from those 4 input metrics to visualize the "Expected" part onto the radar chart. I have tried using SELECTEDVALUE and applying to the slicer (input field) but it did not work. I guess that I need to create a calculated table containing the "Metric Name" column and the "Expected Value" column to show on radar chart. Or create a new calculated column on the table "Metrics" to visualize.

3. How can I set up the Expected Value of all metrics to 20 whenever the file is newly opened? I do not know whether setting the default value from the numeric range parameter would work.

Thanks everyone for supporting me. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and instructions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The what-if numeric range parameter has a limitation that it has a data point sampling limit. Once the number of data points gets above the limit, it snaps input to "known" values in the sampled data. The current limit seems to be 1000, while your parameter has 10001 data points, which is greater than 1000. That's why you met the behavior described in question 1. You will also see the following information when it hits the limitation:

vjingzhang_0-1675848536764.png

There is no workaround to solve it currently, you could vote up the following idea about this limitation:

Microsoft Idea: "what if" parameter - turn off sampling so all numbers are generated in a range

Or consider if it is possible to increase the increment to reduce the data points. 

Reference:

Use what-if parameters to visualize variables - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

========================================================

For question 2, you can create a measure similar to below to get the expected values from four parameters, then add this measure to the radar chart. Once you create a numeric range parameter, it automatically creates a measure for you. You can find that measure below the corresponding parameter table in Fields pane. 

Expected = SWITCH(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Name]),
    "Metric A",[Metric A],
    "Metric B",[Metric B],
    "Metric C",[Metric C],
    "Metric D",[Metric D]
)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The what-if numeric range parameter has a limitation that it has a data point sampling limit. Once the number of data points gets above the limit, it snaps input to "known" values in the sampled data. The current limit seems to be 1000, while your parameter has 10001 data points, which is greater than 1000. That's why you met the behavior described in question 1. You will also see the following information when it hits the limitation:

vjingzhang_0-1675848536764.png

There is no workaround to solve it currently, you could vote up the following idea about this limitation:

Microsoft Idea: "what if" parameter - turn off sampling so all numbers are generated in a range

Or consider if it is possible to increase the increment to reduce the data points. 

Reference:

Use what-if parameters to visualize variables - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

========================================================

For question 2, you can create a measure similar to below to get the expected values from four parameters, then add this measure to the radar chart. Once you create a numeric range parameter, it automatically creates a measure for you. You can find that measure below the corresponding parameter table in Fields pane. 

Expected = SWITCH(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Name]),
    "Metric A",[Metric A],
    "Metric B",[Metric B],
    "Metric C",[Metric C],
    "Metric D",[Metric D]
)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestions and instructions. I have already applied those (and updated a little bit) and they solved perfectly my problems. Thanks a lot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.