Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JJL_Ptbo
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic RLS - multiple email formats for staff

I am setting up Dynamic RLS and planning to use the USERPRINCIPALNAME function. However, staff have emails used in outlook which are different than the emails used to share out reports. I want to confirm that I am choosing the correct email to set up the RLS with.

To sign into a Microsoft account and to share the report the email format is user@locationlocal.ca. And the outlook emails are simply user@location.ca . I assume I need to use the user@locationlocal.ca  emails for security.

My employee table has a column for each email format. I created the CSW_RLS role, and when testing 'View as' with either email type the data filters correctly if I specify what column to use as principal username. E.g., to filter using the locationlocal.ca email I have [Microsoft Email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME(). To filter using the location.ca email I have [Outlook Email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME(). 

How can I be sure which email format to set for the RLS? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @skygold16  ,thanks for the quick reply, you are right.

Hi @JJL_Ptbo ,

As  skygold16 said , the USERPRINCIPALNAME() function in Service returns the e-mail address you use to log in to Power BI Service.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1714634285991.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1714634295345.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JJL_Ptbo
Frequent Visitor

Thank you both! That is what I assumed. 

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @skygold16  ,thanks for the quick reply, you are right.

Hi @JJL_Ptbo ,

As  skygold16 said , the USERPRINCIPALNAME() function in Service returns the e-mail address you use to log in to Power BI Service.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1714634285991.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1714634295345.png

skygold16
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, 

I think you need to always use the email address which end user will be using to login to Power BI service.

Thanks,

Harsh

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.