Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nimdy
Frequent Visitor

Dropdown slicer with title inside

Is it possible using standard or custom visuals to show a dropdown slicer title inside the dropdown? Company design standards dictate I have dropdowns at the top of my reports. I have a text box with the title to the left of each slicer. This is fine when I have two or three slicers, but a new report requires 6 drop down slicers, which doesnt give me enough space. If I could have the title within the drop down I'd nearly double the space I have available to me. 

I may not be explaining this properly, so this is an example of what I have now, and what I'm aiming for:

https://imgur.com/JFMYOjs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nimdy 

I think you want to change the place of slicer header to reduce space.

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.

You can vote up this idea for this function : Header in slicer selection controls instead of above slicer

Or you can achieve your goal by using measure to build a card visual and group card and slicer.

Firstly build a slicer and trun of the slicer header.

Measure:

Measure = 
Var _T = VALUES('Table'[Country])
Var _Count = COUNTROWS(_T)
return
IF(ISFILTERED('Table'[Country]),IF(_Count = 1,MAX('Table'[Country]),"Multiple selections"),"Country")

Drag card visual to a suitable postion and Group two visuals. Rsult is as below.

By default:

1.png

Select A:

2.png

Select Multiple selections:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Dropdown slicer with title inside

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nimdy 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nimdy,

I am not aware of any visuals that might offer you exactly what you need (the image did help to understand, thanks).

However, you could try something like this, which will help you gain space horizontally:

slicers.PNG

For that, you just need to (1) delete your text box, (2) use the standard Slicer visual and (3) tick the Slicer Header to on.

Have a nice day,

Thomas

Thanks. We used to have titles / slicer headers on the visuals, but the new corporate design means our title bar is very narrow, so titles can only go to the left of the visual. 

I had a try of xViz Hierarchy Slicer visual, which allows me to put the title inside the visual, but when I reduce the height of the visual the dropdown doesnt work. It seems only the default dropdown slicer allows the dropdown to work regardless of the visual size (again, image below to explain what I mean): 

https://imgur.com/kkCeZ6U

Hi @nimdy 

I think you want to change the place of slicer header to reduce space.

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.

You can vote up this idea for this function : Header in slicer selection controls instead of above slicer

Or you can achieve your goal by using measure to build a card visual and group card and slicer.

Firstly build a slicer and trun of the slicer header.

Measure:

Measure = 
Var _T = VALUES('Table'[Country])
Var _Count = COUNTROWS(_T)
return
IF(ISFILTERED('Table'[Country]),IF(_Count = 1,MAX('Table'[Country]),"Multiple selections"),"Country")

Drag card visual to a suitable postion and Group two visuals. Rsult is as below.

By default:

1.png

Select A:

2.png

Select Multiple selections:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Dropdown slicer with title inside

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@nimdy , Not very clear. But I doubt that is possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.