Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sonuojha1
Helper IV
Helper IV

Drill through Limitation in Power BI?

Drill through in power bi , it seems as a limitation in Power BI. When we compare Power BI with Oracle BI. In oracle BI we can do drill through in very controlled manner by creating a seperate report and add that report to action links with appropriate report to navigate to detail. 

But in Power BI, we can't do it. As I am struggling to following issues:

1. When I am trying to drill through, it shows many unrelavant reports to drill through which I don't want to see.

2. Based on Month, drill through report is not shown, when wanted to navigate from Monthly Salary graph to detail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sonu

11 REPLIES 11
sonuojha1
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks for replies.

Here in the below screenshot, The graph is related to assets, and I have a detailed report for the same "Asset Details", however I have other detail reports as well. For the below summary report, rest of detail reports are useless(marked in red) to navigate and see the details as there is nothing relevant to assets.

There is no option to disable or enable drill through for relavent reports. 

If someone suggests like to create duplicate columns and use those columns in reports to drill, that is not a feasible solution as we would have many drill down reports, and that wouldn't be feasible solution to create many duplicate columns for each different detail report.

sonuojha1_0-1609739267540.png

I hope you understand, if still something unclear please let me know.

Regards,

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonuojha1 ,

Try to create a drill-through button to specify a specific page.

drillthrough.gif

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Thanks for repsonse.

Again, Drill through is fine. The issue is only to seeing irrelevent detail reports to user. Which I mentioned in screenshot in red, they are irrelevant for users to see.

For drill through, creating a individual button is not the correct way, as I have other reports as well based on the columns. 

For example in one report I am showing Paid Invoice, Posted Invoice etc, then I have to go on different button to drill to detail, and also it won't take me for specific rows details.

sonuojha1_2-1609750093223.png

detail report after drill:-

sonuojha1_1-1609750010501.png

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonuojha1 ,

How about my latest suggestion? Does it work?

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Thanks Icey for reply,

However, user doesn't want to see any extra button for detail, he just wanted to navigate from numbers shown in tabular format.

Regards,

Sonu

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonuojha1 ,

This suggestion doesn't need any extra button. Please check it again.

Try to put columns or measures only related to Invoice into Drill-through field of Invoice details page, and put columns or measures only related to Posted Invoice into that of Posted Invoice details page, etc. For example:

drillthrough2.gif

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

You can't eliminate the row of the table from the target, otherwise the drill through doesn't meake sense. That is because it filters the data on the rows. 

With two charts on the same screen showing overview information on two different measures pertaining to the same object (like customer or product for example) there should be a way to drill through to a different detail page per chart, but the feature seems to be missing.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonuojha1 ,

Hope this is what you want:

Try to put columns or measures only related to Invoice into Drill-through field of Invoice details page, and put columns or measures only related to Posted Invoice into that of Posted Invoice details page, etc. For example:

drillthrough2.gif

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonuojha1 ,

Here are the official documents about drill through. Please check if they can help you.

Set up drill through in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs;

Use cross-report drill through in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs;

Create a drill-through button in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

In addition, could you show us some screenshots of the issues?

Best regards

Icey

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sonuojha1 , You can create a new idea for the feature required at https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

You can also check if some the features in May 2020 release can help : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-2020-feature-summary/#_Cond_dest_drill

Hello @sonuojha1 ,

Just like Oracle BI, we can do the same in Power BI. Can you please share some snapshots and what are you seeing there.
Maybe I can help you out seeing them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.